Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

13214Re: [Slovak-World] OT Is everyone OK after Katrina?

Expand Messages
  • hazu8595@bellsouth.net
    Aug 30, 2005
      > From: "Claudia Medvik" <cmedvik@...>
      > Date: 2005/08/30 Tue PM 09:09:16 CDT
      > To: "Slovak-World" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [Slovak-World] OT Is everyone OK after Katrina?

      Hi S-W,
      That question will bring out this 'lurker'. [ I was formerly active on the "Old S-W" in the late '90's. ]
      Yes, I'm Ok, but a hugh number others are not! I'm in Pensacola (of Hurricane Ivan and Dennis fame!) where we caught the far eastern edge of Katrina. I'm doing great now. Below is the "status" msg I sent to family.

      Jim Hazuga, Sr. in Pensacola FL at: mailto:hazu8595@...
      Searching for: HAZUGA and spelling variations such as
      HAZUKA, HAZUDA, HAZUPA, etc. who emigrated from, or near,
      Nagy Dobra, (Hungary) Slovakia. I have over 200 baptism (birth),
      marriage, and death records for the period 1764-1911. Ask me!


      Katrina was a piece of cake! .... for me in Pensacola at least. But I'm sure
      glad I wasn't in places like Gulfport, Biloxi MS or New Orleans. That was
      some EXTREEM stuff over there. Worse than our Ivan last Fall.

      For me it was easy. Sunday I did my yard clean up and bought a few easy
      groceries. I'd gotten two five gal cans of gas the day before; That was a
      bit of challenge.............After finding a station with gas, waited in line
      15 mins and then could get only premium gas.

      Lost power at 3:30am Monday............Seems way too early. It tried
      valiently 5 or six times to return, but got knowed off in seconds. By 8am,
      over 80,000 homes were without power in Escambia County. Some are still out today, Tuesday.

      Early Monday morning it was overcast with occassional rain, but by mid-morning
      it got quite dark, plus more rain. Wind got rougher too.....still from the
      East. About 11am the wind started to shift toward the ESE and get stronger.
      About this time my neighbor came over to start my power generator. When we
      went through the laundry room door to the garage, I got a shock. My garage
      door was UP! And raining in! It must have been open ever since we had
      those power fluctuations back at 3:30am!

      I then set up three lines. One to bedroom for my breathng equipment and a
      light, one to the garage door opener, and one to kitchen for refrigerator,
      computer, cordless phone, and a TV.

      Then I went back to sleep from 2 to 6pm. Woke up to learn that power was
      back on! Still blowing like crazy, and now coming from the south, but the
      world was right-side-up again as far as I was concerned........I had
      electric! Did all my electrical disconnects / change backs, but will leave
      the cord roll-up till Tuesday. Left the generator running because I wanted to
      run it dry before putting it back in storage.

      About 8:30pm, I got a knock at front door. There was the Fire Dept, about 4
      guys, lights flashing and all. They were checking to see if I had carbon
      monoxided myself. Turns out a neighbor had stopped by to check on me while I
      was sleeping and couldn't rouse me.....and feared the worst. While the fireman
      was talking with me at the door, he was also extending his arm into the room
      with a CO detector. Came up clean! So I owe a "thank you" to someone out
      there for worrying.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic