12994Re: Digest Number 1046

  • sandman6294
    Jul 30, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy" <mleva@e...> wrote:

      > At 07:54 AM 7/30/2005, you wrote:
      > >Yak sa mas^,was common when I was a kid in SW PA, but somehow, I
      always
      > >thought it was Polish.
      > >Live and learn.
      > >
      > >Jack Gergely
      >
      > Jack, so did I think that Yak sa mas was polish. I grew up in
      Phila., Pa.
      > and I would always say it to the pani ladies living in the multi
      ethnic
      > neighborhood I grew up in.
      >
      > Peggy

      I believe "Jak sa mate" pronounced "Yak sa(or sha)mah-teh" would be
      the polite or respectful form of greeting in the singular and
      plural. I only used the polite form because I only spoke in Rusyn
      (poorly) when speaking to my immigrant parents and other older
      relatives. I found it difficult to (attempt to) talk to others in the
      familiar form when I visited Slovakia. As a result, I even used the
      polite form when speaking to children. I got some quizzical looks
      from them.

      RU
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic