1299Re: [Slovak-World] Accessing Church Records

  • Ron Milliken
    Mar 1, 2003
      I usually offer a donation, but sometimes it was refused.

      You have the perfect situation, where you can carefully search the books
      and find cousins you didn't even know about. On a few occasions I had
      that situation, where the secretary would point me to a cabinet full of
      old books and tell me to go through them at my leisure. If you are
      lucky, they will photocopy the records you find. I would definitely
      offer to pay for the copies. It is very difficult to interpret the
      records right there on the spot. Village names could be written in
      Hungarian, and other information could be written in Latin or Slovak.
      If it is a Greek Catholic or Orthodox church, information could be in
      Cyrillic. It often takes me days of research to correctly decipher all
      the information in church records. But the beauty of ethnic church
      records is that they often include the name of the native village,
      nationality, religion, etc. of people, such as the parents.

      Ron Milliken