1291Re: [Slovak-World] Accessing Church Records

  • Ron Milliken
    Mar 1, 2003
      I have researched many church records in the US. I have had no success
      when trying to request records via mail or telephone ... no success
      whatsoever, even when I send a donation. The secretaries are far too
      busy to respond to queries. However, my success rate is greater than 50
      percent when I just show up at the church office during business hours.
      Often, I am allowed to go through the books myself. If you have a
      narrow time frame to search, the secretary or pastor will sometimes
      allow you to look over their shoulder while they turn the pages, as it
      should only take a few minutes. Sometimes I have been able to arrange
      a timeframe in advance, when the secretary would be the least busy.

      Perhaps others have had different experiences.

      Ron Milliken