1288Re: [Slovak-World] Accessing Church Records

  • Jan Lan
    Mar 1, 2003
      At 02:00 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

      >What is considered the generally accepted behavior or good manners when
      >researching church records here in the US? Should a small contribution be
      >left for access to records? I plan to visit the church where my mother was
      >baptized over 80 years ago in hopes of finding out more information about her
      >parents, such as date and place of birth, etc.
      >
      >TIA,
      >
      >Florian

      Have you checked with the church regarding their policy on genealogical
      research. Many pastors and church offices are busy and may require
      scheduling if they are willing to do it at all. I haven't tried myself but
      have heard people say that in some cases letters on the subject went
      unanswered. Also, as is the case with any old documents, they can be
      fragile and many would be reluctant to allow visitors to handle them. I'd
      be interested in knowing if many have had success with this approach.

      Janko

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic