1278Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Tradicie slovenskej rodiny (Slovak FamilyTraditions)

  • Matchett
    Mar 1, 2003
      What Helene wrote interested me and I looked back into my mother's
      memoirs:

      "My brothers were very often best men (druz~bas). They carried a
      s~abl'a (sword) at the head of the wedding procession. The best man
      carried the s~abl'a upright and the tip of the s~abl'a was decorated
      with ribbons, an apple on top of the ribbons and one sprig of rosemary
      on top of the apple. Also a scarf was attached under the ribbons.

      "The Godmother's son was rightfully the best man. If she didn't have a
      son, then anyone could be best man. My three brothers were often asked
      to be best man. Whatever was attached to the s~abl'a was given to the
      best man. I had lots of scarves from those weddings."

      Oh my, I never thought of the significance of it all and wish I had
      taken a greater interest when my mother was alive. She was from
      southwestern Slovakia, too. Julia Matchett