12350Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • Caye Caswick
    May 4, 2005
      Pretty cool, here in the Midwest they play Shake-a-Day
      -- it's a heavy rubber cup with dice in it -- 5 I
      think -- and basically it's sort of like poker -- the
      better your roll, the more likely you are to get a
      free drink -- ditto for the wet tabletops and torn
      vinyl -- but you forgot the duct tape used to
      "attempt" to repair the rips.

      Darts are pretty popular here -- but they put the
      board back by the bathrooms and use those plastic
      tipped darts -- luckily most of the members wear old
      "safety"-type glasses anyhow, so not a lot of damage.

      Caye

      --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
      > Punch board is a "game of chance", there is a thick
      > (about 1/2 to 5/8 inche) piece of cardboard about 4
      > 6 inches with rows of holes covered with thin paper.
      >
      > In each hole (about 1/8" in diameter) is a small
      > rolled piece of paper with a number on it. You pay
      > something like 25 cents and punch a strip of paper.
      > You get the number of quarters back that on the
      > paper.
      > Of course there are not many winning papers and the
      > house always makes money because there is not a 100%
      > payback.
      >
      > Veryt exciting especially after a couple of shots
      > and
      > beers because the the hand eye coordination
      > required.
      > The game is common at various clubs such as VFW,
      > American Legion, etc. A heavy odor of cigars,
      > cigarettes, etc. enhances the experience along with
      > wet table tops and torn vinyl stools and chair
      > seats.
      >
      > Get the idea?
      >
      > (Darts is too dangerous after shots and beers!!)
      >
      > :-)
      >
      > Dr. "Q"
      >
      > --- krejc@... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 5/3/05 8:29:45 AM Eastern
      > > Daylight Time, gergely@...
      > > writes:
      > > Of course the main
      > > theme of the usual patrons of the club is NOT
      > Slovak
      > > history, rather
      > > drinking shots and a beer, and punch boards.
      > > Hi Ed,
      > > Well, i guess, of course, this is tradition too,
      > :o)
      > > Noreen
      > > p.s. what exactly are punch boards? darts?

      > protection around
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail