12319Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Roman Catholic Prayer meets Rusyn Prayer

  • agp@telerama.com
    May 1 8:14 AM
      Hi

      This is a beautiful Rosary, and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a beautiful
      prayer, which I count as one of my favorites.

      I have a bit of a story about it .....

      Back in the 90s I began hearing Mother Angelica's shortwave radio station
      WEWN broadcast the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I remember saying, 'What a
      boring and repetitive prayer!' I think at one point I may have even said
      that I hated it. Well, in January of 1997 I wrote to Mother Angelica,
      asking that the nuns at Our Lady of the Angels remember me in their
      prayers, as I sought Christ's guidance in my life, and tried to figure out
      what to do with it. I was in the middle of a divorce at the time. Lo and
      behold, Mother Angelica's staff sent me a prayer card of the Chaplet of
      Divine mercy. Hmmm, I thought, this must mean something. In a sense, I
      found myself saying to God, "Okay, I'll say your prayer, but I ain't gonna
      like it! Nyah! Nyah!" On Ash Wednesday 1997, I began saying the Chaplet
      daily, sometimes praying with the nuns, sometimes praying it in my car
      alone, sometimes before bed. As I owned no Rosary, I counted off the
      prayers on my fingers.

      By mid summer of 1997, I was still saying the Chaplet! I went to a Catholic
      book store, specifically to buy a Rosary so that I cold start saying
      correctly.. I went to the book section, and saw a copy of Sister Faustina
      Kowalska's Diary 'Divine Mercy in My Soul'. I thought 'This might make a
      good read', so I bought it. That night, as I lay in bed, I picked up the
      book and started reading it. I felt chills go through me as read about the
      Chaplet and Sister Faustina. I had no idea of the connection.

      Of course, now Sister Faustina is now Saint Faustina.

      The Chaplet has become a very special prayer to me, and I have been
      privileged to lead a sung version of it on Divine Mercy Sunday at my
      parish, St Nicholas Croatian Catholic Parish in Pittsburgh for the past two
      years. This year we had great attendance at the prayer as we said it as a
      group.

      Tony P
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic