12304Re: Trust or mistrust

  • sandman6294
    Apr 28, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
      wrote:
      > > I see the Czech Communists are still a force in the
      > > government. Is this true in Slovakia?
      >
      > No, no one in the Slovak cabinet is a former member of the
      Communist
      > Party.

      Martin,

      Thanks for clarifying the reason for the low standing of their labor
      unions. I was a little surprised by the extent of the benefits they
      have. I did get the impression that some felt Americans were
      workaholics when I visited.

      I was able to locate some basic information on their election
      procedures at:
      http://www.travelblog.org/World/lo-gov.html

      "Executive branch: chief of state: President Ivan GASPAROVIC (since
      15 June 2004) head of government: Prime Minister Mikulas DZURINDA
      (since 30 October 1998); Deputy Prime Minister Ivan MIKLOS (since 30
      October 1998) cabinet: Cabinet appointed by the president on the
      recommendation of the prime minister elections: president elected by
      direct, popular vote for a five-year term; election last held 3 April
      and 17 April 2004 (next to be held April 2009); following National
      Council elections, the leader of the majority party or the leader of
      a majority coalition is usually appointed prime minister by the
      president election results: Ivan GASPAROVIC elected president in
      runoff; percent of vote - Ivan GASPAROVIC 59.9%, Vladimir MECIAR
      40.1%; Mikulas DZURINDA reelected prime minister October 2002 note:
      government coalition - SDKU, SMK, KDH, ANO

      Legislative branch: unicameral National Council of the Slovak
      Republic or Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky (150 seats; members are
      elected on the basis of proportional representation to serve four-
      year terms) elections: last held 20-21 September 2002 (next to be
      held NA September 2006) election results: percent of vote by party -
      HZDS-LS 19.5%, SDKU 15.1%, SMER 13.5%, SMK 11.2%, KDH 8.3%, ANO 8%,
      KSS 6.3%; seats by party - governing coalition 67 (SDKU 21, SMK 20,
      KDH 15, ANO 11), opposition 83 (HZDS 26, Smer 25, KSS 10, People's
      Union 8, Free Forum 7, and independents 7)

      Judicial branch: Supreme Court (judges are elected by the National
      Council); Constitutional Court (judges appointed by president from
      group of nominees approved by the National Council)"

      I still have a way to go when it comes to understanding the
      parliamentary form of government.

      RU
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic