12049Re: [Slovak-World] What is Slovakia doing concerning the loss of our Holy Father?

  • Sara Peticiously
    Apr 3, 2005
      At 11:06 AM 4/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:

      >Our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II passed away
      Saturday, which was
      >covered all day and night by even mainstream media.
      Does anyone
      >know of internet links to information of how Slovakia
      in mourning?

      >Claudia
      =====================================================================From

      Radio Prague:

      Czech Catholics join millions around the world in
      mourning the death of
      Pope John Paul II
      Pope John Paul II, the first Slav head of the Catholic
      Church in history,
      died at just after nine-thirty on Saturday evening. At
      noon on Sunday,
      church bells tolled throughout the country to honour
      the Pontiff. To the
      head of the Czech Catholic Church, Cardinal Miloslav
      Vlk, the Pope was a
      great person who led an untiring fight for human
      rights, both before and
      after the end of the Cold War. The priest and former
      Czech dissident Tomas
      Halik pointed to his personal charisma and to his
      symbolic significance.

      Although most Czechs are not practising Catholics -
      only some four percent
      of the population attend mass regularly - Pope John
      Paul II was very
      popular in the Czech Republic and hugely respected for
      his role in helping
      to bring about the fall of communism. Czech was one of
      the many languages
      that the Pope spoke, and he visited the Czech Republic
      three times during
      his papacy, firstly in 1990 - less than a year after
      the fall of
      communism. To the former Czech President and former
      dissident, Vaclav
      Havel, Pope John Paul II was "his wise and
      understanding
      confessor" who gave him hope and the strength to
      cherish life.
      Not Slovakia but close. I was surprised at the low
      regular church
      attendence (4%) in the Czech Republic.

      RU

      http://personals.yahoo.com