12048Re: [Slovak-World] Looking for recommendations

  • Lil Junas
    Apr 3, 2005
      Yes, the Turiec management also has been nice to me and my college
      student group. (I take a group to Slovakia every other spring.) I
      use Martin as my base camp -- and we take side trips from there. I
      had told Helen that we usually stay at the Cierna Pani, a motel-type
      lodging (with restaurant) about 2-1/2 blocks from the Martin centrum.
      But a few years ago, because of an itinerary change, the Cierna Pani
      could not take us for part of the time -- so we stayed a few days at
      the Turiec.

      Although the Turiec charged about a third more per room, they agreed
      to give us the rooms at the same price as we had paid at Cierna Pani.
      Of course, it helped that my Slovak friend did the talking. The CP
      has about 12 rooms on the second floor. The building resembles a
      home. One of the corner rooms has a small balcony. We usually get
      that room because it's larger and can hold four single beds.

      By the way, I will be leaving for Slovakia April 27 with eight media
      students. We will spend 13 days at the Cierna Pani. For the story
      seekers, this place has an interesting history. It was a prostitute
      home back in the 20s.
      Lil

      >The Hotel Turiec has served me well on my 3 visits to Martin.
      >
      >My brother and I have had 3 SISITKA family reunions at the Hotel
      >
      >In 2003, we had over 90 relatives meet in the main dining area with a
      >catered buffet
      >
      >It is near the town center, good food, and bar
      >

      >A. SokolĂ­ka 2, 036 01 Martin, Slovakia
      >
      >Tel: 00421/43/4221017-9
      >
      >Fax: 00421/43/4220518
      >
      >e-mail: hotel-turiec@...
      >

      >On Mar 30, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:
      >

      >> I'm going on a work trip to Slovakia in May. Does anyone have
      >> recommendations for, or against, a hotel or pension in any of the
      >> following cities?
      >>
      >> Bratislava
      >> Martin
      >> Pres~ov
      >> Kos~ice
      >> Banska Bystrica
      >>

      >> Helen
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
      For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
      http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
      "To be nobody but myself."
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic