11780Re: Votrubova Chata

  • amiak27
    Mar 2, 2005
      Caye,

      The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
      accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
      the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
      frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
      anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
      material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
      airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
      which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

      The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
      from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
      with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
      multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
      I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
      elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
      your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
      nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
      without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
      tell, up in them thar mountains!

      I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>