11779Re: [Slovak-World] Gooseberries

  • Martin Votruba
    Mar 2, 2005
      > that gooseberries originally came from Iberia?

      It's more likely that gooseberries reached Vienna _via_ Spain/Spanish
      (e.g., the Habsburgs ruled Spain ca. 1500-1700, as well as much of
      Central Europe). Apparently, gooseberries as we know them were
      cultivated around the 16th century from a lowlier variety of currants.

      > "cibul'a" (onion), which resembles the Spanish word "cebolla"

      I don't think this goes back to Indo-European directly from Slovak,
      Helen. The word came from Latin. That almost certainly does not
      mean that that the Old Slavs didn't have onion: it has been around
      for millennia. A particular cultivated variety probably spread from
      the Latin area along with the word and replaced whatever kinds of
      onion the Europeans used to grow.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic