11773Re: [Slovak-World] Votrubova Chata

  • Martin Votruba
    Mar 2, 2005
      > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
      > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

      It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
      too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
      shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
      words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
      Sept. 14):

      Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
      bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
      Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
      nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

      "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
      let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
      by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic