Dobson Flexes Muscles

  • KulpC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
      Arianna Huffington hit the nail on the head with all the things we are trying
      to forget about 2004. Now, just when you thought you'd had enough of Dr.
      Dobson.....
      Cyndy
      _________________
      Evangelical Leader Threatens to Use His Political Muscle Against Some
      Democrats

      By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK

      Published: January 1, 2005

      COLORADO SPRINGS - James C. Dobson, the nation's most influential evangelical
      leader, is threatening to put six potentially vulnerable Democratic senators
      "in the 'bull's-eye' " if they block conservative appointments to the Supreme
      Court.

      In a letter his aides say is being sent to more than one million of his
      supporters, Dr. Dobson, the child psychologist and founder of the evangelical
      organization Focus on the Family, promises "a battle of enormous proportions from
      sea to shining sea" if President Bush fails to appoint "strict constructionist"
      jurists or if Democrats filibuster to block conservative nominees.

      Dr. Dobson recalled the conservative efforts that helped in the November
      defeat of Senator Tom Daschle of South Dakota, the Senate minority leader who led
      Democrats in using the filibuster to block 10 of Mr. Bush's judicial nominees.

      "Let his colleagues beware," Dr. Dobson warned, "especially those
      representing 'red' states. Many of them will be in the 'bull's-eye' the next time they
      seek re-election."

      He singled out Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Mark Dayton of Minnesota, Robert C.
      Byrd of West Virginia, Kent Conrad of North Dakota, Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico
      and Bill Nelson of Florida. All six are up for re-election in 2006.

      James Manley, a spokesman for Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the new
      Democratic leader, said Democrats had allowed 204 judicial appointments to move forward
      in Mr. Bush's first term.

      "James Dobson needs to take a moment to focus on the facts," Mr. Manley said.
      He called Dr. Dobson a "front for the White House."

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/01/politics/01dobson.htm...<http://www.nytimes.
      com/2005/01/01/politics/01dobson.html>

      The friend who sent this appended the following comment:

      "Is it time to tax the churches and 'religious leaders' who use religion to
      influence government policy and campaign for specific candidates?"
    • CATHARINE Beecher-Nitka
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
        Isn't it time Dr. Dobson and his political machine were forced to stop
        pretending his organization is merely a church group and start paying taxes?