Re: [Skywaydems] Digest Number 139

  • KulpC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      Thanks, Steve, that is truly pathetic.  As one of many sensible and intellingent people who opposed the war on Iraq from the beginning, I wish it felt good to say, "We told you so."
      Cyndy

         Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:42:51 -0600
         From: "Steve Meyer" <ksmsscu@...>
      Subject: Mission Not Quite Done

      * Feb. 7, 2003:  Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, to U.S. troops in Aviano, Italy: "It is unknowable how long that conflict will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."

      * March 16, 2003:  Vice President Cheney, on NBC's Meet the Press: "I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. . . . I think it will go relatively quickly, . . . (in) weeks rather than months."

      * June 20, 2005:   "I think we may well have some kind of presence there over a period of time," Cheney said. "The level of activity that we see today from a military standpoint, I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

      * June 27, 2005:  Rumsfeld said the insurgency "could go on for any number of years."  "Insurgencies tend to go on five, six, eight, 10, 12 years," Rumsfeld said. "Coalition forces, foreign forces are not going to repress that insurgency. We're going to create an environment that the Iraqi people and the Iraqi security forces can win against that insurgency."