Sign the Conyer's Letter

  • KulpC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      If you haven't done it yet, you can sign the Conyers memo at http://johnconyers.com/

      More than 59,000 view Conyers' letter on Downing Street memo over weekend

      RAW STORY Advertisement

      Congressman John Conyers' (D-MI) letter questioning President Bush about secret Iraq war plans based on minutes of a high-level British meeting held in 2002 saw heavy traffic over the holiday weekend since its announcement Friday afternoon,
      RAW STORY has learned.
      The congressman's office said they were unprepared for the volume of signers and haven't been able to get firm numbers on signatures as yet, but that the signature page saw 59,000 unique visitors.
      "The overwhelming response we received over the Memorial Day weekend from the Internet community to our Downing Street Letter to the President shows how many Americans want to get to the bottom of this huge and growing scandal," Conyers told
      RAW STORY. "I am hopeful that we can not only reach, but exceed our goal of 100,000 individuals asking the president to explain his conduct in this matter."
      The 'memo,'
      official minutes of a 2002 meeting between British Prime Minister Tony Blair, members of British intelligence MI-6 and various members of the Bush administration, noted that MI-6 director Richard Dearlove said, “Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy.”
      Conyers and eighty-eight other members of Congress
      issued a letter to the White House on May 5 requesting an explanation and answers to questions about whether the President misled Congress into voting for the Iraq war.
      The White House has ignored the letter; press secretary Scott McClellan said he had “no need to respond,” according to the New York Times.
      Conyers has indicated that he may send a delegation to London to further investigate the memo.

      The letter is available on
      Conyers' website.
      Conyers May 5 letter follows.
      May 5, 2005
      The Honorable George W. Bush President of the United States of America The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20500
      Dear Mr. President:
      We write because of troubling revelations in the Sunday London Times apparently confirming that the United States and Great Britain had secretly agreed to attack Iraq in the summer of 2002, well before the invasion and before you even sought Congressional authority to engage in military action. While various individuals have asserted this to be the case before, including Paul O'Neill, former U.S. Treasury Secretary, and Richard Clarke, a former National Security Council official, they have been previously dismissed by your Administration. However, when this story was divulged last weekend, Prime Minister Blair's representative claimed the document contained "nothing new." If the disclosure is accurate, it raises troubling new questions regarding the legal justifications for the war as well as the integrity of your own Administration.
      The Sunday Times obtained a leaked document with the minutes of a secret meeting from highly placed sources inside the British Government. Among other things, the document revealed:
      Prime Minister Tony Blair chaired a July 2002 meeting, at which he discussed military options, having already committed himself to supporting President Bush's plans for invading Iraq.
      British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw acknowledged that the case for war was "thin" as "Saddam was not threatening his neighbours and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea, or Iran."
      A separate secret briefing for the meeting said that Britain and America had to "create" conditions to justify a war.
      A British official "reported on his recent talks in Washington. There was a perceptible shift in attitude. Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."
      As a result of this recent disclosure, we would like to know the following:
      1) Do you or anyone in your Administration dispute the accuracy of the leaked document?
      2) Were arrangements being made, including the recruitment of allies, befor

      3) Was there an effort to create an ultimatum about weapons inspectors in order to help with the justification for the war as the minutes indicate?
      4) At what point in time did you and Prime Minister Blair first agree it was necessary to invade Iraq?
      5) Was there a coordinated effort with the U.S. intelligence community and/or British officials to "fix" the intelligence and facts around the policy as the leaked document states?
      We have of course known for some time that subsequent to the invasion there have been a variety of varying reasons proffered to justify the invasion, particularly since the time it became evident that weapons of mass destruction would not be found. This leaked document - essentially acknowledged by the Blair government - is the first confirmation that the rationales were shifting well before the invasion as well.
      Given the importance of this matter, we would ask that you respond to this inquiry as promptly as possible. Thank you.