FUKUSHIMA'S APOCALYPTIC THREAT

  • Dorothy Chamberlin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 8:30 AM

      LOOKS LIKE NONE OF US ARE SAFE - WE MUST STOP ALL NUCLEAR PLANTS IMMEDIATELY.  PLEASE PASS THIS INFO ON TO OTHERS SINCE THE PRESS IS MIGHTY QUIET ABOUT IT ALL.  D

      Fukushima's Apocalyptic Threat

      By Harvey Wasserman, Reader Supported News
      20 May 11

      RSN Special Coverage: Disaster in Japan

      ukushima may be in an apocalyptic downward spiral.

      Forget the corporate-induced media coma that says otherwise ... or nothing at all.

      Lethal radiation is spewing unabated. Emission levels could seriously escalate. There is no end in sight. The potential is many times worse than Chernobyl.

      Containing this disaster may be beyond the abilities of Tokyo Electric or the Japanese government.

      There is no reason to incur further unnecessary risk. With all needed resources, it's time for the world's best scientists and engineers to take charge.

      Even then the outcome is unclear.

      For a brief but terrifying overview, consult Dr. Chris Busby as interviewed by RT/TV.

      Fukushima Units One, Two and Three are all in various stages of melting down.

      Molten fuel at Unit One may have burned through its reactor pressure vessel, with water poured in to cool it merely pouring out the bottom.

      A growing pond of highly radioactive liquid is softening the ground and draining into the ocean.

      There is no way to predict where these molten masses of fuel will yet go.

      Especially in the event of an aftershock, steam and hydrogen explosions could blow out what's left of the containments.

      The extra plutonium in the MOX fuel at Unit Three is an added liability.

      At least one spent fuel pool has been on fire.

      The site has already suffered at least two hydrogen explosions. Some believe a fission explosion may also have occurred.

      All have weakened the structures and support systems on site.

      These shocks and the soft ground may be why Unit Four has partially sunk and is tipping, possibly on the brink of collapse. Even a relatively minor aftershock could mean catastrophe.

      More explosions are possible. More leaks are virtually certain.

      Escalated radiation levels from any one of the reactors could force all workers to evacuate, leaving the entire site to chance.

      The New York Times has now reported that critical valve failures that contributed to the Fukushima disaster are likely at numerous US reactors.

      Significant radioactive debris has been found thousands of yards from the plant. Radiation levels in Tokyo, nearly 200 miles away, have risen. Fallout has been detected in North America and throughout Europe.

      Radiation pouring into the sea has begun to spread worldwide.

      There is much more, none of it good.

      Japan and Germany have had the good survival sense to abandon future reactor construction,and to shut some existing sites.

      But here, the corporate media blackout is virtually complete. Out of sight, out of mind seems the strategy for an industry desperate for federal loan guarantees and continued operation of a rickety fleet of decaying old reactors.

      The Obama Administration has ended radiation monitoring of seafood in the Pacific. It does not provide reliable, systematic radiological or medical data on fallout coming to the United States.

      But we may all be in unprecedented danger.

      A national movement is underway to end atomic give-aways and turn to a green-powered Earth.

      Now we must also move ALL the world's governments beyond denial to focus on somehow bringing Fukushima under control.

      After two months of all-out effort, four reactors and at least that many spent fuel pools remain at risk.

      Our survival depends on stopping Fukushima from further irradiating us all.

      The world community has come together to put a new sarcophagus around Chernobyl.

      A parallel, more urgent effort now needs to focus on Fukushima.

      Whatever technical, scientific and material resources are available to our species, that's what needs to go there.

      NOW!!!

      Harvey Wasserman's "Solartopia! Our Green-Powered Earth, A.D. 2030" is atwww.solartopia.org. He is senior advisor to Greenpeace USA and the Nuclear Information & Resource Service, and writes regularly for www.freepress.org. He and Bob Fitrakis have co-authored four books on election protection, including "Did George W. Bush Steal America's 2004 Election?," "As Goes Ohio: Election Theft Since 2004," "How the GOP Stole America's 2004 Election & Is Rigging 2008," and "What Happened in Ohio."

      Comments

      +3# S. Wolf Britain 2011-05-20 17:58
      Damn right! At the present time much too little is being done, too late! We are experiencing an unmitigated disaster of otherwise untold proportions; and, if something drastic isn't done to truly contain this situation, not only can it get worse, but as it stands now within the next couple of years we will start seeing Americans and Europeans dying in even more pandemic proportions than we already do! So, God help us if we don't entomb the entire Fukushima site.

      NOW!!!

      Personally, I think the reason(s) they haven't already begun to do so is that they fully expect more explosions like the one that just happened a week or two ago; and they thus know that, if they built a sarcophagus over the entire site, it would very likely be blown right off of it or blown apart. Therefore, that appears why they are only taking "bandaid" measures right now such as seeking to put tents over the stricken reactors which, though undoubtedly extremely expensive to get done in and of itself, is much less expensive, monetarily at least, if more explosions take place and blow the tents to kingdom come, and much less expensive than if a more "permanent" entombing cover were built over the site and it was blown to kingdom come... (Continued below.)
      Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

      +1# S. Wolf Britain 2011-05-21 01:10
      (Continued from above.)

      I, with disclaimer of not being an expert, that people "don't only take my advice, and that they obtain advice concerning this matter from professionals such as radiation experts, doctors, other medical professionals, etc.", recommend that ALL Americans and Europeans, etc., go outside as little as possible, wear face masks when they do go outside, keep the windows and vents on their homes, offices and their motor vehicles closed tightly, and move themselves back and forth from their vehicles to enclosed buildings, their place(s) of business, and/or their homes as quickly as possible.

      [All of this advice is due to the irradiated dust particles, aka now radioactive dust, that is encircling the entire northern hemisphere, and particularly effecting the entirety of North America, right now; and the fact(s) that one of the primary ways that this irradiated dust effects us deleteriously is through its entering our lungs and very likely causing cancer(s) thereafter. So, please, for everyone's sake, take this recommendation seriously and take the necessary precautions accordingly. Please do NOT ignore or put off taking such precautions IMMEDIATELY. This is VERY important... (Continued below.)
      Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

      +1# Hors-D-whores 2011-05-21 00:03
      Exactly, "out of sight, out of mind." I've seen not one report in the MSM about further developments at Fukushima. It's as if all is now hunky dory and we should forget that nuclear power plants are dangerous and UNNECESSARY. Is there any doubt in anyone's minds that our politicians and those whom we pay to take care of things aren't doing their jobs? I'm writing just a few hours before it is predicted that the world will come to an end, The Rapture and all. For my time zone, one more minute and I will know. (OOps, I'm still here past my Rapture minute) Could it be that all of our representatives believe in Armageddon, and don't give a good fig as to what is good for us? I THINK SO!
      Reply | Reply with quote | Quote