Please call Sen. Jones this Weekend!

  • KulpC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Colo. Springs Advocates:

      The Landlord-Tenant Relations bill, HB 1061, is up for 2nd reading in the Senate on Monday, and as you know, it is sorely needed to treat renters with some shred of dignity in CO.  So far, SSen. Jones has avoided voting on it by missing the committee hearing.  Landlords and realtors are pressuring him to vote against it, so we must generate some counter-pressure on him over the weekend.
      Please call Sen. Jones at his local number by Monday AM and forward this e-mail on to others you know who are concerned about housing rights.

      The bill has been amended to address some of the landlord's/realtor's concerns:
      1) the time for return of security deposit has been lengthened to 45 days (instead of 30, as originally proposed) to get around utility billing issues
      2) the "Non-waiver provision" has been changed -- now it says that leases cannot go around state laws; court decisions (or case law protections) have been eliminated.
      These are significant concessions by tenant activists, and now we need our senator to act to protect renters in his district.  Urge him to resist any other amendments from the floor, as the Realtor's Assoc. plans to introduce several to undermine the bill.
      If you have any questions or need any further info., give me a call.
      After the bill gets through the Senate, we will go to work on Gov. Owens to sign it.
      Thanks for any help you can lend to this effort.
      Sincerely,
      Cyndy Kulp
      TRAC (Tenant's Rights and Action Coalition)
      H : (719) 634-0627
      ________________
      ACTION ALERT

      Your help is needed to support basic tenant rights and protections!!!
      Colorado is at the bottom when it comes to providing a level playing field for tenants and landlords.
      HB 1061 will help Colorado to
      modernize our landlord-tenant laws.

      On Thursday March 17th, HB 1061—Rep. Michael Merrifield and Sen. Lew Entz’s bill on Landlord/Tenant Relations—passed out of the Senate Committee on Local Government with a vote of 5-1.  The bill is now slated to be heard in the Senate on Monday, April 4th. In order to get this important bill passed out of committee and through the Senate, we need your help.

      Please call/email Sen. Ed Jones by Monday AM to express your support of this much needed legislation!  Urge him to resist any further amendments from the floor;
      Sen.  Ed Jones
      E-mail: ed.jones.senate@...

      **Included in this Action Alert is a form letter as well as examples of what to say in a phone message to a legislator.  Please try to personalize your message as much as possible and remember to put your name and address at the bottom of your letter/email.

      Background:  Colorado landlord and tenant relations need to be improved.  House Bill 1061 seeks to do this in five key ways:

      Returning security deposits in a timely manner
      Prohibiting landlords from forcing tenants to waive rights/protections in leases
      Requiring that the tenant receive a copy of their lease
      Providing basic legal information to tenants facing eviction
      Prohibiting excessive and abusive late fees

      This bill is about
      basic rights and responsibilities of tenants, specifically seniors and people with disabilities.  It is a consumer protection and homelessness prevention bill.

      Action:  Please call the above Senator as soon as possible and encourage them to support HB1061.  Remind him that Colorado currently ranks at the bottom of the barrel in terms of tenant protections and House Bill 1061 merely seeks to level the playing field between Colorado landlords and tenants.

      We sincerely appreciate your support.  Your action really does make a difference!

      For more information contact Rep. Michael Merrifield at (303) 866-2932, Chris Méndez, TRAC, (303) 722-0300, or Rex Wilmouth, CoPIRG, (303) 573-7474.  To include your organization as a supporter of this bill, please contact Chris Mendez (303) 722-0300.

      Sample Calling Scripts:

      1. Hello Senator _____.  My name is _____ and I am calling to urge you to support House Bill 1061.  This bill is about basic rights and responsibilities of tenants, specifically seniors and people with disabilities.  It is both a consumer protection and homelessness prevention bill.  Please support this very important legislation and encourage your colleagues to do the same.  Thank you.

      2.
      Hello Senator _____.  My name is _____ and I am calling to urge you to support House Bill 1061.  House Bill 1061 will help Colorado to modernize our landlord-tenant laws.  Colorado currently ranks at the bottom of the barrel in terms of tenant protections and House Bill 1061 merely seeks to level the playing field between Colorado landlords and tenants. Please support this very important legislation and encourage your colleagues to do the same.  Thank you.

      3.
      Hello Senator _____.  My name is _____ and I am calling to urge you to support House Bill 1061.  I support this legislation because: Number 1, It takes too long for tenants in Colorado to get their security deposits back; Number 2, Bad landlords can charge whatever they want for late fees; Number 3, If you as my Senator pass a law, my landlord should not be able to ignore it; And Last, How can anyone argue with a tenant getting a copy of their lease and being told what their rights are? Please support this very important legislation and encourage your colleagues to do the same.  Thank you.

      4.
      Hello Senator _____.  My name is _____ and I am calling to urge you to support House Bill 1061.  House Bill 1061 seeks to improve landlord-tenant relations in 5 key ways.  The bill includes such basic provisions as mandating that tenants receive a copy of their lease and get their security deposit returned in a timely manner.  It also prohibits landlords from charging excessive late fees and from forcing tenants to waive their rights in leases. Please support this very important legislation and encourage your colleagues to do the same.  Thank you.

      **Remember to insert personal stories and opinions whenever you can!!**

      Sample E-Mail/Letter Format

      Dear Senator _____________,

      I am writing you to express my support of
      HB05-1061.  This bipartisan bill is sponsored by Representative Michael Merrifield and Senator Lewis Entz.  HB 1061 will help Colorado to modernize our landlord-tenant laws.  At the moment, Colorado is at the “bottom of the barrel” in terms of providing its tenants with basic rights and protections.

      I support this bill because:

      It takes too long for tenants in Colorado to get their security deposits back.
      Bad landlords can charge whatever they want for late fees.
      If you as my Senator pass a law, my landlord should not be able to ignore it.
      How can anyone argue with tenants getting a copy of their lease and being told what their rights are?

      Please support this very important legislation and encourage your colleagues to do the same.  Thank you very much for your support and concern for Colorado tenants.

      Sincerely,