a little Palin perspective

  • Dave Gardner
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
      Sarah Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Hillary Clinton. She is Phyllis Schlafly, only younger.

      http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-steinem4-2008sep04,0,7541303.story

      Los Angeles Times
      Opinion
      Palin: wrong woman, wrong message
      By Gloria Steinem
      September 4, 2008

      Here's the good news: Women have become so politically powerful that even the anti-feminist right wing -- the folks with a headlock on the Republican Party -- are trying to appease the gender gap with a first-ever female vice president. We owe this to women -- and to many men too -- who have picketed, gone on hunger strikes or confronted violence at the polls so women can vote. We owe it to Shirley Chisholm, who first took the "white-male-only" sign off the White House, and to Hillary Rodham Clinton, who hung in there through ridicule and misogyny to win 18 million votes.

      But here is even better news: It won't work. This isn't the first time a boss has picked an unqualified woman just because she agrees with him and opposes everything most other women want and need. Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It's about making life more fair for women everywhere. It's not about a piece of the existing pie; there are too many of us for that. It's about baking a new pie.

      Selecting Sarah Palin, who was touted all summer by Rush Limbaugh, is no way to attract most women, including die-hard Clinton supporters. Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Clinton. Her down-home, divisive and deceptive speech did nothing to cosmeticize a Republican convention that has more than twice as many male delegates as female, a presidential candidate who is owned and operated by the right wing and a platform that opposes pretty much everything Clinton's candidacy stood for -- and that Barack Obama's still does. To vote in protest for McCain/Palin would be like saying, "Somebody stole my shoes, so I'll amputate my legs."

      This is not to beat up on Palin. I defend her right to be wrong, even on issues that matter most to me. I regret that people say she can't do the job because she has children in need of care, especially if they wouldn't say the same about a father. I get no pleasure from imagining her in the spotlight on national and foreign policy issues about which she has zero background, with one month to learn to compete with Sen. Joe Biden's 37 years' experience.

      Palin has been honest about what she doesn't know. When asked last month about the vice presidency, she said, "I still can't answer that question until someone answers for me: What is it exactly that the VP does every day?" When asked about Iraq, she said, "I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."

      She was elected governor largely because the incumbent was unpopular, and she's won over Alaskans mostly by using unprecedented oil wealth to give a $1,200 rebate to every resident. Now she is being praised by McCain's campaign as a tax cutter, despite the fact that Alaska has no state income or sales tax. Perhaps McCain has opposed affirmative action for so long that he doesn't know it's about inviting more people to meet standards, not lowering them. Or perhaps McCain is following the Bush administration habit, as in the Justice Department, of putting a job candidate's views on "God, guns and gays" ahead of competence. The difference is that McCain is filling a job one 72-year-old heartbeat away from the presidency.

      So let's be clear: The culprit is John McCain. He may have chosen Palin out of change-envy, or a belief that women can't tell the difference between form and content, but the main motive was to please right-wing ideologues; the same ones who nixed anyone who is now or ever has been a supporter of reproductive freedom. If that were not the case, McCain could have chosen a woman who knows what a vice president does and who has thought about Iraq; someone like Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison or Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine. McCain could have taken a baby step away from right-wing patriarchs who determine his actions, right down to opposing the Violence Against Women Act.

      Palin's value to those patriarchs is clear: She opposes just about every issue that women support by a majority or plurality. She believes that creationism should be taught in public schools but disbelieves global warming; she opposes gun control but supports government control of women's wombs; she opposes stem cell research but approves "abstinence-only" programs, which increase unwanted births, sexually transmitted diseases and abortions; she tried to use taxpayers' millions for a state program to shoot wolves from the air but didn't spend enough money to fix a state school system with the lowest high-school graduation rate in the nation; she runs with a candidate who opposes the Fair Pay Act but supports $500 million in subsidies for a natural gas pipeline across Alaska; she supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve, though even McCain has opted for the lesser evil of offshore drilling. She is Phyllis Schlafly, only younger.

      I don't doubt her sincerity. As a lifetime member of the National Rifle Assn., she doesn't just support killing animals from helicopters, she does it herself. She doesn't just talk about increasing the use of fossil fuels but puts a coal-burning power plant in her own small town. She doesn't just echo McCain's pledge to criminalize abortion by overturning Roe vs. Wade, she says that if one of her daughters were impregnated by rape or incest, she should bear the child. She not only opposes reproductive freedom as a human right but implies that it dictates abortion, without saying that it also protects the right to have a child.

      So far, the major new McCain supporter that Palin has attracted is James Dobson of Focus on the Family. Of course, for Dobson, "women are merely waiting for their husbands to assume leadership," so he may be voting for Palin's husband.

      Being a hope-a-holic, however, I can see two long-term bipartisan gains from this contest.

      Republicans may learn they can't appeal to right-wing patriarchs and most women at the same time. A loss in November could cause the centrist majority of Republicans to take back their party, which was the first to support the Equal Rights Amendment and should be the last to want to invite government into the wombs of women.

      And American women, who suffer more because of having two full-time jobs than from any other single injustice, finally have support on a national stage from male leaders who know that women can't be equal outside the home until men are equal in it. Barack Obama and Joe Biden are campaigning on their belief that men should be, can be and want to be at home for their children.

      This could be huge.

      Gloria Steinem is an author, feminist organizer and co-founder of the Women's Media Center. She supported Hillary Clinton and is now supporting Barack Obama.

      Dave Gardner, President, Citizen-Powered Media
      Producing the Documentary,
      GROWTHBUSTERS TM
      presents Hooked on Growth: Our Misguided Quest for Prosperity
      Visit www.growthbusters.com
      < mailto:dave@...>
      760 Wycliffe Drive
      Colorado Springs, CO  80906
      719-576-5565

    • Colleen Badgley
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
        Thanks Dave-If my blood pressure gets any higher on this issue, I'll have to be medicated. Deep breaths, tonights the last night of these right wing nut jobs get to command the airwaves!

[...]

        < mailto:dave@ growthbusters. com>
        760 Wycliffe Drive
        Colorado Springs, CO  80906
        719-576-5565

      • KulpC@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
          Skyway Dems,
          Does anyone besides me find it more than bizarre that Sarah Pallin would seek national office at a time when she has a four month old special needs baby?  This is an odd role for me to be in as I have always been an advocate for women's career advancement.  However, there must be balance between one's career goals and family.  For all her so-called "family values", she certainly doesn't seem to mind pushing the kids in the background to get ahead on the national stage.  And from what I know about Downs syndrome kids, they have very intense medical problems that often require them to have surgery and extended hospital stays (or at least this was the case with friends of mine).
          And what's with the right wing that they are not even raising these issues?  Why are they so forgiving of the teen daughter's pregnancy?
          Besides the comparison to Ann Coulter, I would have to say that Sarah Pallin's personal life is a mess, and apparently no one in that family has even heard of birth control.
          Do you think she will effectively advance the ticket?
          Cyndy

        • Colleen Badgley
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
            Cindy-

            I can't weigh in on the special needs issue, but I do find it disgusting that she would put her own political advancement ahead of her pregnant daughters privacy. How humiliating for her daughter. What kind of mother would toss her young into a media frenzy knowing they would pounce on this issue.

            Sarah has many problems including her inability to tell the truth about bridges-to-know-where, planes on ebay, earmarks, and ethics!

             I think her grand entrance will be short lived. As they say in Texas, "she's all hat and no cattle!"

            Colleen

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
              I think Sarah Palin and her family have become a complete  distraction to this campaign. Maybe this was McCain's "Hail Mary Pass".
              Sara

[...]

              Internal Virus Database is out of date.
            • surfrider

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
                  skyway Dems--

                  Sarah Palin wants to be able to chose the best course for her family within the privacy of her own home without undue outside influence or prying eyes.  I, for one, am perfectly willing to allow her that latitude. Furthermore, I think the right of privacy is an important right.

                  The same privacy and latitude in decision making that she asks of all of us, she refuses to grant to any of us should we find ourselves in similar circumstances.  She wants to enact her choices into law so that none of us have the latitude to make decisions for our own family that she is granted.  Sarah Palin wants to dictate her decisions to each and every family by passing laws that prohibit abortion in any case including incest and rape.  I suspect next on the agenda will be a ban against the pill since we can assume her daughter did not use birth control.

                  I label Sarah Palin Pro-Choice when it suits her and opposed to choice for the rest of us.

                  Lynda Schedler

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2008

                       Obama and The Palin Effect

                     From: Deepak Chopra | Posted: Friday, September 5th, 2008

                     Sometimes politics has the uncanny effect of mirroring the
                    national psyche even when nobody intended to do that. This
                    is perfectly illustrated by the rousing effect that Gov.
                    Sarah Palin had on the Republican convention in Minneapolis
                    this week. On the surface, she outdoes former Vice President
                    Dan Quayle as an unlikely choice, given her negligent
                    parochial expertise in the complex affairs of governing. Her
                    state of Alaska has less than 700,000 residents, which
                    reduces the job of governor to the scale of running
                    one-tenth of New York City . By comparison, Rudy Giuliani is
                    a towering international figure. Palin's pluck has been
                    admired, and her forthrightness, but her real appeal goes
                    deeper.

                     She is the reverse of Barack Obama, in essence his shadow,
                    deriding his idealism and exhorting people to obey their
                    worst impulses. In psychological terms the shadow is that
                    part of the psyche that hides out of sight, countering our
                    aspirations, virtue, and vision with qualities we are
                    ashamed to face: anger, fear, revenge, violence,
                    selfishness, and suspicion of 'the other.' For
                    millions of Americans, Obama triggers those feelings, but
                    they don't want to express them. He is calling for us to
                    reach for our higher selves, and frankly, that stirs up
                    hidden reactions of an unsavory kind. (Just to be perfectly
                    clear, I am not making a verbal play out of the fact that
                    Sen. Obama is black. The shadow is a metaphor widely in use
                    before his arrival on the scene.)

                     I recognize that psychological analysis of politics is
                    usually not welcome by the public, but I believe such a
                    perspective can be helpful here to understand Palin¹s
                    message. In her acceptance speech Gov. Palin sent a rousing
                    call to those who want to celebrate their resistance to
                    change and a higher vision.

                     Look at what she stands for:

                     --Small town values -- a denial of America 's global
                    role, a return to petty, small-minded parochialism.

                     --Ignorance of world affairs -- a repudiation of the need
                    to repair America 's image abroad.

                     --Family values -- a code for walling out anybody who
                    makes a claim for social justice. Such strangers, being
                    outside the family, don't need to be heeded.

                     --Rigid stands on guns and abortion -- a scornful
                    repudiation that these issues can be negotiated with those
                    who disagree.

                     --Patriotism -- the usual fallback in a failed war.

                     --'Reform' -- an italicized term, since in
                    addition to cleaning out corruption and excessive spending,
                    one also throws out anyone who doesn't fit your
                    ideology.

                     Palin reinforces the overall message of the reactionary
                    right, which has been in play since 1980, that social
                    justice is liberal-radical, that minorities and immigrants,
                    being different from 'us' pure American types, can
                    be ignored, that progressivism takes too much effort and
                    globalism is a foreign threat. The radical right marches
                    under the banners of 'I'm all right, Jack,' and
                    'Why change? Everything's OK as it is.' The
                    irony, of course, is that Gov. Palin is a woman and a
                    reactionary at the same time. She can add mom to apple pie
                    on her resume, while blithely reversing forty years of
                    feminist progress. The irony is superficial; there are
                    millions of women who stand on the side of conservatism,
                    however obviously they are voting against their own good.
                    The Republicans have won multiple national elections by
                    raising shadow issues based on fear, rejection, hostility to
                    change, and narrow-mindedness.

                     Obama's call for higher ideals in politics can't
                    be seen in a vacuum. The shadow is real; it was bound to
                    respond. Not just conservatives possess a shadow -- we all
                    do. So what comes next is a contest between the two forces
                    of progress and inertia. Will the shadow win again, or has
                    its furtive appeal become exhausted? No one can predict. The
                    best thing about Gov. Palin is that she brought this
                    conflict to light, which makes the upcoming debate honest.
                    It would be a shame to elect another Reagan, whose smiling
                    persona was a stalking horse for the reactionary forces that
                    have brought us to the demoralized state we are in. We
                    deserve to see what we are getting, without disguise.
                    -----------------

                    =

                    Phillip S. DeCaro. Esq.

                    The DeCaro Law Firm, PC
                    47 Aspen Court
                    Evergreen , CO 80439
                    Phone:  303-679-3326
                    (Direct Dial - 303-670-0198)
                    Fax:  303-679-3327

                    decaro@...
                    l decaro@...

                    Email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and is legally privileged.  If the person actually receiving this email is not the named recipient, or recipient's employee or agent, any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 303-679-3326 and destroy or delete this message.  Thank you.

[...]

                    (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                  • Linda Dyer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 11, 2008
                      Great article.

                      Linda M. Dyer

[...]

                      ------------ -----

                      =

                      Phillip S. DeCaro. Esq.

                      The DeCaro Law Firm, PC
                      47 Aspen Court
                      Evergreen , CO 80439
                      Phone:  303-679-3326
                      (Direct Dial - 303-670-0198)
                      Fax:  303-679-3327

                      decaro@decarolaw. com
                      l decaro@decarolaw. com

[...]

                      Looking for spoilers and reviews on the new TV season? Get AOL's ultimate guide to fall TV.