a good reminder

  • Dave Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008

      We all flinch at each uptick of gas prices, right?  Well, factor in this rule of thumb: each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional 20 cents per gallon for gas.

       Emacs!

      The EPA is apparently quite confident that you wouldn't have any inclination to go as fast as 65, and of course no one ever exceeds the legal limit, so why waste time doing the numbers for 70, 75, or 80 mph?

      If the sweet spot for fuel efficiency is in the 50's, as the chart indicate, then as you get into the high 60's and above, the addition of each mph requires more fuel than the last.  This is explained in greater detail at howstuffworks' article answering the question, "What speed should I drive to get maximum fuel efficiency?"

      Courtesy of http://www.greenslowmovingvehicle.com/

      Dave Gardner, President, Citizen-Powered Media
      Producing the Documentary,
      GROWTHBUSTERS TM
      presents Hooked on Growth: Our Misguided Quest for Prosperity
      Visit www.growthbusters.com
      < mailto:dave@...>
      760 Wycliffe Drive
      Colorado Springs, CO  80906