Briargate to Start "Drinking Liberally" Group

  • KulpC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      You may know some folks in the Briargate area that would like to go to this group that is starting up.  Personally, I am not much of a drinker, but the goal seems to be to connect and interact for progressive change--

      The newest chapter among 17 in Colorado, the North End Drinking Liberally will hold its inaugural meeting Tuesday, January 8th, at 7:30pm at Champps Restaurant & Bar in the Shops At Briargate.  The national organization is non-party affiliated and meetings are open to the public.

      “Drinking Liberally” clubs are pouring across the country; creating welcoming social spaces around progressive politics and bringing together activists, newcomers and everyone in between. “What better way to share your ideas than by sharing a pitcher?” asked Justin Krebs, one of the club's founders and directors.  “Politics shouldn't be reserved for rooms with fluorescent lighting – we need it in our everyday lives.”  Inebriation isn't the end goal; engagement is. Organizers see these gatherings as a springboard to greater political involvement as Liberal Drinkers learn from each other, trade talking points and form bonds that become political fuel during election season, and keep the community growing in between campaigns.

      Drinking Liberally is building those bonds in many places where liberals really need a drink. “Too many people write off ‘red states,’ but our leaders in small towns, the South and traditionally conservative areas are some of our most active. They have to be,” explains National Organizer Katrina Baker, another of the network's directors. From the heart of Texas to Indiana and Idaho , Drinking Liberally has given like-minded, left-leaners a much needed oasis - at the local watering hole, of course.

      “Many progressives have found an online community, but they are hungry – or thirsty – for a real community, for face-to-face interaction, local compatriots...and new friends,” says David Alpert, the group's webmaster and one of its directors. The internet has facilitated the expansion of Drinking Liberally, which has grown from the still active Manhattan , NY chapter initiated in “Hell’s Kitchen” in May, 2003, to over 230 chapters in 45 states today. But the organizers are adamant that the left's strength is in the “offline” community, in the “real-world”.

      If you’d like more information on Drinking Liberally, visit www.DrinkingLiberally.org, or e-mail ColoradoSprings@.... The North End Drinking Liberally will meet the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. at Champps Restaurant & Bar, 1765 Briargate Pkwy, Colorado Springs, CO.