Your chance to provide input to city budget

  • Dave Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      I encourage you to think about attending, viewing, and/or calling in your feelings about the inclusion of any funding for developer-controlled EDC, which is simply a population growth engine. There are generally a couple of line items in the city budget that go to EDC. (Of course, our city-owned hospital also budgets funding for EDC, and the big public subsidy for EDC is in the utilities budget - $250,000 last year.)

      Also consider asking the city to provide a line item in the budget showing how much tax revenue we are foregoing due to economic development incentives, including urban tax increment financing in urban renewal zones. My opinion: this is corporate welfare to make real estate deals more profitable. If citizens were given the chance to indicate where urban renewal belongs on our priority list, it would be well down the list - below public safety, transportation, stormwater drainage, air quality, education, and more. But developers routinely inform City Council they just bought land in a "blighted" area, and now we need to steer tax revenue to their project. Does Council ever say "no?" No.

      At the very least, ask what these amounts are for 2007!

      Dave Gardner

      2007 BUDGET

      PUBLIC INPUT MEETING
      October 5, 2006
      7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

      The City will hold its annual budget public input meeting on Thursday, October 5, 2006, from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. in City Council Chambers. The meeting will be an E-town Hall format, which allows citizens to participate by phone, fax , e-mail, or by attending in person. The City Manager will give a brief presentation regarding the 2007 preliminary City budget at the beginning of the session. The balance of the session will be dedicated to Council taking input and questions from the public. The session will conclude before 9 p.m. if all input and questions are addressed by then. The E-town Hall meeting will be broadcast live on SpringsTV, Adelphia Channel 18. The e-mail address is etownhall@..., and the telephone number is 719-385-5961, and the fax number is 719-385-5861.

      Dave Gardner
      Founder & Chair, SaveTheSprings

      A sustainable approach to our environment & quality of life - for current & future generations
      Visit us at www.savethesprings.org

      < mailto:dave.gardner@...>
      760 Wycliffe Drive
      Colorado Springs, CO  80906