Re: [Skypup-club] Re: Wings

  • Jerry McMasters
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 20, 2013
      where are you located

      From: Bob Hewlett <bobferdmonster@...>
      To: "Skypup-club@yahoogroups.com" <Skypup-club@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [Skypup-club] Re: Wings

      Anyone in the Southeast interested in a Skypup?  Please respond to me.

      Bob Hewlett

      I was looking at these custom Carbon Fiber tube fabricators.  They're probably very expensive, but they will shape the tube to your profile.  I guess one of the keys to reducing cost is that the more you make the cheaper the item.  That may not hold as true with something that's laid up.  Good lumber's getting harder to find and hence more expensive. Edgar

    • Bob Hewlett
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 20, 2013
        Cumming, GA

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 20, 2013
          Hi Scott.

          I forgot to specify that I was referring to the cross section's shape.  I may have that capability wrong, but I think that it could be shaped to constitute the leading edge of the wing.  Also, and this would take the concerted effort of us builders, we might generate enough interest to buy said tubes in sufficient quantity to reduce the cost?  I was a doubter regarding the strength of the material myself.  However, I shoot archery often and finally tried Carbon arrows.  The strength to weight ratio is amazing.  Any failure in that application would indeed be catastrophic.  I've heard tales of wooden shafts skewering archer's forearms  when they break on release.

          Edgar

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 20, 2013
            To the person asking about the carbon fiber tubes.  About 3 years ago I saw pictures of the tubes being built for the ultra lite they sell.  The company owner flew 1 of there models on the TV show Myth Busters with it all taped up with silver tape instead of aircraft fabric.

              So I looked up on the internet for carbon fabric.  At that time most of this led to businesses that sold formed parts and they sold the ready made carbon tubes.  Cost wise it didn't seem to bad.

            Anyone in the Southeast interested in a Skypup?  Please respond to me.

            Bob Hewlett

            I was looking at these custom Carbon Fiber tube fabricators.  They're probably very expensive, but they will shape the tube to your profile.  I guess one of the keys to reducing cost is that the more you make the cheaper the item.  That may not hold as true with something that's laid up.  Good lumber's getting harder to find and hence more expensive. Edgar

          • Edgar W. Webb
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
              I forgot to add about aluminum.  When an aluminum arrow is released you can clearly see it "fishtail" as it leaves the bow and if you get a chance to see it in slomo it's really whipping back and forth, even when properly spined for the bow draw weight.  Carbon Fiber maintains it's rigidity under those sorts of stresses.  I know the stresses aren't quite the same as wing loading but I think one can safely extrapolate.  It's going to be a matter of acceptance by us builders and possibly getting together to place orders large enough to get some relief in terms of price.  It's still relatively new technology, but I trust it implicitly.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 22, 2013
                Good ole Mythbusters!  My son and I are dedicated fans and have learned so much from those folks.

                Edgar

                Message 7 of 18 , May 8 3:32 PM
                  how much does a finished outer wing section weigh for the pup??

                  Thanks
                • Roger Ford
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 9 7:25 AM
                    If I recall correctly it is about 20 lbs.