Question about the wing joint

  • wesvasher
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18 10:51 AM
      Looking over the wing joint, I'm wondering if there is any reason to continue the spar web and gusset all the way to the edge of the bearing block as illustrated in this image:

      http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/4115472398_d111bca2da_o.jpg
    • Carl
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18 8:50 PM
        Not being an engineer, I can only speculate that is has, as so many little details in this airplane do, something to do with evenly distributing stress loads.

        It is very interesting to read the copies of the skypup newsletter. Steve Woods addresses many of those little details that builders are tempted to change, and explains why they are as they are, and why it is not a good idea to change them.

        Time and again proposed changes have been discussed, and as things progress, it turns out that the design details in this airplane are all so interrelated, that one small change seems to require changing everything.

        If it is not one of the most highly engineered ultralights out there, then it is darn close.

        Then again, it could be just a weight savings, or to give a little better access in the joint. I personally would not want to make the change without talking to the designer first though.

        Carl