Slingshot method for hanging SkyWires.

  • exemptfromlife
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9 10:54 PM
      Slingshot method for hanging SkyWires.

      Guys,

      In my youth (19 years old), fresh out of Marine Corps Boot Camp, I
      would climb to the tops of trees like a monkey, while friends on the
      ground would yell "that's high enough!!" to put up Owl
      Nesting
      boxes, etc.. What they didn't know was it was much easier that
      most
      of the stuff the Corps had me doing.

      That was then and this is now. Now Walter no longer leaves the ground
      unless I have a boarding pass, and a coach ticket.

      After reading a few articles I decided to try the slingshot method of
      hanging a wire antenna.

      Its Pretty easy.

      You need the following items.

      A fishing pole, a dozen 1 oz. Lead egg sinkers, a good Crossman or
      Wrist-Rocket slingshot, a large spool of Trout Line, Large Nails,
      a hammer, and a Fishing pole holder, if you can't find someone
      help.

      I've seen ads in radio magazines for a slingshot-fishing reel
      combo,
      for $100. If you have $100 to blow, take you wife out to a fancy
      restaurant. I believe it's a much better investment that this.
      The
      slingshot, and a fishing rod and reel will set you back about $30..

      I use trout line because it is very strong, and given its to be used
      in water, its waterproof, and seems to hold up very well, and is
      cheap. But if someone knows of another rope that works better, please
      let me know.

      You can find all of this at your local bait and tackle store. I pay
      about 20 cents for each egg sinker, I use egg sinkers because they
      are about as aerodynamic as fishing weights get, and because the
      shape doesn't allow them to get hung up in the tree branches as
      much
      as others do, but it still happens.

      I have heard of people using a Bow and Arrow. I can see some
      advantage to this, but I think the risks outweigh the benefits. With
      a 1 oz. Egg sinker, you have to be careful it doesn't come down
      on a
      parked car's windshield, or dent the hood. With an Arrow, it
      could
      put a hole in someone's roof, or worse, if you neighbor or his
      kids
      are outside, they could end up impaled and looking like Gregory Peck
      in the last scene of the movie "The Omen". We don't want
      thatÂ…

      When shooting the egg sinker, you want to be on the "Antenna
      side"
      of the tree.

      Take the pole holder, and place it in the ground at an angle, facing
      the target tree. Put the fishing pole in the holder.

      I have read that if you paint the egg sinkers blaze orange, you can
      see them better when they come down. I haven't tried this, but it
      makes sense. Having a florescent fishing line in your fishing reel
      helps in locating the downed egg sinker, but is not necessary.

      If you are right handed, taking the slingshot in the left hand, and
      stand with the fishing pole to the right of you. If left handed, do
      the opposite. Place the egg sinker in the sling with the fishing line
      coming out of the top, and clear from the rubber bands.

      Make sure not to stand too close to the tree, you want the egg sinker
      to clear the tree, and fall on the far side, if you are too close,
      you will be shooting at too high an angle and the egg sinker
      won't
      fall on the far side, but on the shooting side.

      Shoot the egg sinker and pay attention to the direction of where you
      shoot, and see if you can judge where it should have landed before
      you walk over to the far side of the tree.

      Then go find it. You may find that you need to take the fishing pole
      and "play" with the line a bit to get the egg sinker to fall
      down to
      ground level from the higher branches.

      If it gets hung up, you will just have to reel it back and start
      over. I have about a 50/50 success rate.

      Once I find the egg sinker, I cut it off, then tie the trout line to
      it and go back to the fishing pole and reel the trout line back over
      the top of the tree.

      When the trout line reaches the pole, cut the line, and tie your dog
      bone insulator on to it.

      two large nails and hammer each of them about half way into the trunk
      of the tree. The nails should be about a foot or so apart and angled
      away from each other forming a cleat.

      I like to hammer the nails high enough that some kids don't come
      along and decide to undo my work. If this is a real concern, you may
      consider using a ladder and nail them higher up on the trunk of the
      tree. Plus, the higher up, generally the less visible it is too.

      Tie the trout line around one nail.

      Repeat these steps on all the trees in your SkyWire system.

      Once you run your antenna wire through the dog bone insulator you can
      then begin to raise the antenna by taking the slack out of the trout
      line. Just begin wrapping the trout line around the both nails in a
      loop until the antenna reaches the desired height.

      That's about it.

      I am currently working on a fuse system that uses a bungee cord, and
      counter-weight, so that when bad weather hits, and high winds put too
      much pressure on the SkyWire, that the "fuse" will break
      causing
      about 20 feet of extra trout line to be unleashed, and letting the
      SkyWire fall limp, but not letting it break. This would allow you to
      easily recover the extra trout line, and put a new "fuse"
      back into
      the system after the storm passes.

      Once I have the dynamics of this worked out, I will post it.
      (sometime this fall, I hope)..

      Thanks,

      Walter
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SkyWires/
    • rickfrazier96720
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9 11:37 PM
        I've used the slingshot method with the cord placed neatly on the
        ground so it will feed.... Needless to say, you'll find out just how
        rough the ground is where you are if you do this. It's even worse if
        you're off the lawn and in "the rough".. Using a fishing pole and
        reel to feed the line is a good way to improve the method, but I
        figured, why not go all the way and dispense with the slingshot
        altogether? Besides, I had more than a few "misfires" with the
        slingshot from not placing the weight in just the right place in the
        pocket...

        Having remembered the early days of fishing as a youth, and
        visualizing the many casts that seemed to go nearly straight up, only
        to come down a paltry twenty or thirty feet in front of me with a very
        loud plop, I figured a decent weight and a salt-water fishing pole
        with spinning reel would be the ticket.

        Well, using a one or two ounce weight, it is definitely possible to
        get the weight over most trees, and with fewer tries than the typical
        slingshot (which tends to be very picky about where you put the weight
        in the pouch, among other things...) Just cast over the tree, attach
        a stronger pull line or wire to the fishing line in place of the
        weight, and reel away. Continue to the next tree and repeat until you
        are ready to put tension on the wire antenna. With this method, if
        you are putting up a skywire, you need to go past the tree and cast
        towards the last tree/support, working your way out. It seems a bit
        backwards at first, but works quite well once you get used to it.

        Good Luck!
        -_Rick

        --- In SkyWires@yahoogroups.com, "exemptfromlife" <junkmail@a...>

      • Clinton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10 5:15 AM
          A crossbow works great.  I know an OM who built a crossbow out of a kids bow and arrow set and mounted a fishing reel on it.
          ---
          Clinton Peebles VE7KNL
          Salmo, B.C. Canada
          E-Mail: clinton@...