Re: A&S classes-weaving, embroidery, spinning

  • epperss
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      For spinning, I use what is called a drop spindle, which has been
      around much longer than spinning wheels. It is basically a stick
      with a disk or wheel on one end. I've made them in the past from
      dowels and wooden toy wheels or yo-yo halves. They aren't the
      greatest, but they're easy to make and cheap.

      For inkle weaving, I've made all of my looms, and while I'm not a
      terribly good wood worker, they really aren't that hard. All you
      really need isa pine 2 x 4, or hardwood 1 x 4 will work, and a large
      diameter dowel. For tools, a saw of some sort and a drill. Wood
      glue and/or woodscrews to hold it together. The hardest part is
      drilling the holes for the pegs sto that they're perpendicular to
      the body of the loom. If you're not into woodwork at all, there are
      various people in the area who have made them for sale or places you
      can get them outside of the SCA for under $100, I believe. It's
      been awhile since I had need to price them.

      So far, it looks like an inkle weaving class is what the majority
      who have expressed interest in Skorragardr want first, but I'm
      willing to get with you privately for spinning if no one else is
      interested. I have had someone volunteer to assist me in teaching,
      or teach with me assisting her, if there are several people
      interested.

      Annabelle

      --- In SkorragardrVirtualSkald@yahoogroups.com, "catfool99"
      <catfool99@...> wrote:

      > A spinning class would be wonderful, but would that involve first
      having
      > to build some sort of spinning wheel? I took an inkle looming
      class once
      > in my old group, but never actualy did it because making a loom
      was too
      > daunting!
      > --- In SkorragardrVirtualSkald@yahoogroups.com, "Epperson, Sheryl"
      > <eppersos@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings, all.
      > >
      > > If there is anyone interested in taking an introductory class on
      inkle
      > > weaving, card weaving, blackwork embroidery, or spinning, please
      let
      > me
      > > or your local A&S officer know. I am willing to teach any of
      these,
      > but
      > > I need to know if there are people interested. My original
      thought is
      > > to try to start classes in January, and hold them among the
      groups as
      > > long as there are people who want to learn (and who remind me).
      For

    • SuTillery@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        The equipment for spinning is generally cheap and fairly easily made. The most common tool in the medieval period was the spindle which is similar to a top. I expect we will make spindles available either free or at a cost. Wheels of the great wheel and similar variety were present in medieval Europe from about the 13th century but are difficult to come by these days. The modern treadle wheel, while old, is post medieval.

        The offer of one on one also holds. Just catch me if I manage to make it to a meeting.

        AEla, co-teacher

        From: "catfool99" <catfool99@...>
        > A spinning class would be wonderful, but would that involve first having
        > to build some sort of spinning wheel? I took an inkle looming class once
        > in my old group, but never actualy did it because making a loom was too
        > daunting!
        > --- In SkorragardrVirtualSkald@yahoogroups.com, "Epperson, Sheryl"
        > <eppersos@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > If there is anyone interested in taking an introductory class on inkle
        > > weaving, card weaving, blackwork embroidery, or spinning, please let
        > me
        > > or your local A&S officer know. I am willing to teach any of these,
        <snipped for brevity>

        > > If people are interested, we need to figure out times and places.
        > >
        > > Annabelle Fitzsimmons

      • Siren Song
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
          Susan I think her name is.. from Namron.. she has a loom for sale. You might ask her if she still has it.
          Siobhan

          <eppersos@.. .> wrote:

          > Greetings, all.
          >
          > If there is anyone interested in taking an introductory class on inkle
          > weaving, card weaving, blackwork embroidery, or spinning, please let
          me
          > or your local A&S officer know. I am willing to teach any of these,
          but
          > I need to know if there are people interested. My original thought is
          > to try to start classes in January, and hold them among the groups as
          > long as there are people who want to learn (and who remind me). For
          > those who don't know, inkle weaving and card weaving are both
          primarily
          > used for trims and belts, and blackwork embroidery is most commonly
          > found during the 16th century.
          >
          > If there aren't very many people interested, I will probably get
          > together privately with those who do respond and teach one on one.
          >
          > If people are interested, we need to figure out times and places.
          >
          > Annabelle Fitzsimmons

          It's not the color of the Text but how you use it.