Re: [SkateFans] Re: USFS - MATT SAVOIE Press Release

  • Sandra Loosemore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2006
      Maureen Diffley <maureen_diffley@...> wrote:

      > Often times, I do think it's more for the
      > photo ops that an athlete is on a board, then they are
      > taken seriously. Hard to say how much weight a person
      > can carry... how much thoughtfulness and education
      > leads to building a consensus for what you think is
      > the right thing to do... etc. etc

      FWIW, the position that Matt was appointed to is a newly-created
      position, the result of the new constitution and general regulations
      that went into effect at the 2006 Congress. There is also now a coach
      representative on each of the technical committees. The skater and
      coach members are appointed by the ISU Council rather than elected by
      the skaters and coaches themselves, or even by the Congress like the
      other members of the committees, so it is hard to say how much
      independence they'll have. A more general problem is that Speedy has
      not been paying much attention to the recommendations or input of the
      technical committees generally during his reign -- e.g., the CoP was
      hammered out by outside consultants, and for other decisions he seems
      to prefer working with the Council where he has the votes of the
      speed-skating members on his side.

      -Sandra the cynic