Scott Hamilton's Cleveland Clinic show 11/6

  • trudi
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2004
      I've been asked for a review, so here it is...

      Last night I attended Scott Hamilton's annual show to benefit the Taussig
      Center at the Cleveland Clinic, where he received his cancer treatment.
      This was my first year in attending the show, which is now held at Gund
      Arena, although I seem to recall it began in a tiny way at the Cleveland
      Skating Club. Back in those days, all the tickets cost hundreds of
      dollars apiece, which excluded just about everyone but the high rollers
      from attending any part of the event. Now, however, with tickets to the
      Gund show running for less and only the patron tickets, which admit you
      to the post-show cocktail hour and dinner dance, running higher, a whole
      lot more people can afford to support this cause.

      I don't consider myself a high roller, but when an event like this not
      only gives me the opportunity to support the eradication of cancer
      through efforts in my hometown, but offers me the privilege of watching
      figure skating while doing it...and throws a Brian Orser appearance into
      the mix as a deal sealer...well, I'm there. ;-)

      The rather bizarre thing about this particular show was that although it
      was Scott's benefit show, Scott himself did not perform. He claimed to
      have hit himself on the head recently while performing a backflip. I
      don't know whether this means he did a Totmianina on himself and was thus
      in his stay-off-the-ice observation period or what, but in any case, he
      appeared only in a suit and skates with a microphone, introducing the
      show, people meaningful to him (wife Tracie and son Aidan), the Cleveland
      Clinic and others (Roz Sumners' husband, Bob Kain) and making sure people
      knew what it meant.

      The guest musical performer for the show was LeAnn Rimes, and here again
      some concessions apparently had to be made. Later at the dinner we heard
      that LeAnn had come down with laryngitis a few days before the show. This
      is most likely the reason that her music during the show sounded
      "canned," as in the instrumental part of it, despite the physical
      presence of a band, was obviously prerecorded (except for possibly one
      acoustic guitar solo and the last song) and she may well have been doing
      an Ashlee Simpson during the rest of the show (except again, possibly,
      for the last song). But at least she showed, which is the important thing.

      The show got started in the best possible way in my book, with Brian
      Orser performing a very new number--yet another trip back to the Neil
      Diamond well, this time in the form of "Crunchy Granola Suite." Love it.
      Love it. Love it. This was quickly followed by Caryn Kadavy, traveling a
      ways down the lake from Erie, Pa., skating to some song about how
      "everything is nothing if I don't have you" or whatever--very nice. And
      Ilia Kulik kept the ball rolling and delighted me completely by doing
      something I have been waiting thirty-odd years for some skater to
      do...skating to Art Garfunkel's "All I Know." Beautiful. The woman
      sitting next to me--who, for unexplained reasons, had been in Hershey,
      Pa. the night before to see Kristi Yamaguchi's Disson show there--said
      that so far she was seeing the exact same show she'd seen the night
      before, so if anyone cares to see some fine numbers by fine pro skaters
      (what a thought!), I guess you will have to tune in Kristi's show when it
      airs on NBC.

      My memory of the skating order and so on is pretty dim from here on in,
      but there was a lot of good stuff. Caryn Kadavy, Kristi Yamaguchi and Roz
      Sumners doing a little trio to one of LeAnn's songs. Kathryn Orcsher &
      Garrett Lucash skating to another one (and her going splat on both the
      throws, unfortunately--they just may not be used to skating on an
      ice-show-sized surface). Kurt Browning skating to LeAnn's "How Do I Live
      WIthout You," a number he had put together, according to Scott, in about
      a day's time (you wouldn't have known it). Silvia Fontana being
      stunningly sexy in black pleather hip-huggers. Jumpin' Joe Sabovcik
      getting as high into the air on those tuck axels as ever, and doing a
      quad toe loop if I'm not mistaken, to some
      metal-band-performing-with-orchestra tune that I didn't recognize
      (probably Metallica). Roz coming out in a stunning pink-and-red-beaded
      showgirl dress, flanked by Brian and Steven Cousins hiding her with huge
      red feather Sally Rand fans, before she skated her tribute to her own
      husband, "De-Lovely." Steven Cousins also being stunningly sexy teasing
      the audience along with his rock performance. Kimmie Meissner holding her
      own and pulling off what looked to be a correct triple lutz in her
      performance to boot. Brian coming back out with another new number I had
      at least heard about, Josh Groban's "Il Postino," and looking again like
      the Master of Edges and King of Double Axels. Ilia returning to do some
      instrumental thing I probably should have recognized, in very colorful
      clothes, and looking great again. Caryn Kadavy in a forest-green dress
      skating to "Amazing Grace." Kurt reviving his old "Don't Fence Me In"
      number, complete with the blue cowboy suit with the "47" pants. And
      Kristi Yamaguchi reviving an old number of hers, "Bridge Over Troubled
      Water," to great effect. (The woman on the left of me said Art Garfunkel
      had sung it live at the Hershey show. Yet another thing to watch for if
      you actually like professional skating.)

      The finale of the show featured everyone in white outfits doing their
      stuff to LeAnn's version of the Led Zeppelin classic "Rock 'n'
      Roll"--appropriate enough in the rock capital.

      And then there was the dinner afterward, at the Renaissance Cleveland
      Hotel on Public Square. Beautiful. A symphony in stargazer lilies (which
      perfumed the entire ballroom all night), the biggest roses I've ever seen
      in my life, greenery, dusty rose-colored satin and twinkling lights.
      Bravo. As it turned out, Caryn Kadavy's parents were sitting at my table,
      so I had a chance to talk to Caryn afterward. As it turns out, Silvia and
      John also passed by my table to get to theirs, so I had a chance to
      compliment her and tell him it was too bad we didn't get to see him
      perform. (Another woman at the table, to me: "Did you see them on 'Queer
      Eye'? Weren't they great??") Later, I had a chance to talk to Brian,
      which is always a joy. But to those skaters I didn't get a chance to talk
      to...thanks. And a big thanks to Scott for helping this happen every
      year. Your talk about "eradicating" cancer is right on the money. Better
      treatment is great, and that's what those who already have it need. But
      what everyone else needs is to JUST PLAIN NEVER GET IT. Amen.

      My first time at this show was great. I hope that next year's show is
      even better.

      Trudi