Scripts invited for Manchester Sitcom Trials 2011

  • Kev
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2011
      THE BRIEF for submission to The Sitcom Trials.

      The Sitcom Trials wants situation comedy scripts that a small group of actors can perform in a live environment with minimal stage in front of an audience, who will hopefully laugh. Ideally these sitcoms will be so marvellous that the TV & radio industry representatives in the audience will snap them up immediately.

      THE FORMAT:

      Your script must have a first 'half' of less than 8 minutes
      This first half should end in a cliffhanger, or something that leaves
      the audience wanting more.

      It must then have a final scene of 2 or 3 minutes long. This will be
      performed only if your sitcom is the winner on the night

      Your script must have NO MORE THAN 4 CHARACTERS. Ideally 2 boys 2 girls.
      If you can write a script with just 2 or 3 characters, all the better.

      The sitcoms we are to test out in our regular pub theatre shows with an eye to them being developed for TV must be
      PERFORMABLE LIVE (ie no filmed or location inserts)
      &
      ON ONE MINIMAL SET.

      Think in terms of a radio script.

      WRITER-PERFORMERS - INCLUDE YOUTUBE DEMO

      We are particularly interested to hear from writer-performers, especially
      those with an on-stage track record (eg Edinburgh) who would present their
      own sitcom as a self contained package. To demonstrate your live potential we would need to see a video, ideally a link to a YouTube video, which we can judge alongside the script. Please include the video link as part of the script.

      UPLOAD SCRIPTS TO THE FILES:

      Upload your entries to the appropriate folder in the files section of the egroup:

      Deadline for entries - June 19 2011
      Deadline for voting - June 26 2011

      VOTING

      All members of the SitsVac egroup, you included, will be invited to read, review, and vote on all scripts in contention. Vote YES, MAYBE or NO as to each one's potential and add a short one paragraph review. Send reviews to the Sits Vac TV group message board: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/

      Writers are welcome to vote on their own scripts.

      Votes are then totalled thus; Yes = 2 points, Maybe = 1 point, No = minus -1 point. This way we draw up a shortlist for a script reading, from which we select the items to go into the stage show.

      Any questions, ask the egroup so we can all benefit from the answers.

      Happy scribbling

      Kev F Sutherland
      Producer and Presenter
      THE SITCOM TRIALS
      http://sitcomtrials.co.uk
    • Kev
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2011
        Debate from: http://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/20632#P744157

        Quote: Griff @ March 24 2011, 9:57 PM GMT

        Sell it to us Kev! What might writers hope to gain from entering Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011?

        'Seeing eight minutes of their work on stage' is a perfectly acceptable answer, but anything else?

        Also you mention "the TV and Radio representatives in the audience". Tell us a bit more about that.
        View Original

        You are spot on, Griff. The writers can hope to see eight minutes of their work on stage.

        As when the show began, this one-off Sitcom Trials gives the writers and performers an opportunity to test out their comedy writing in front of a live comedy audience, something from which they will hopefully benefit and which they and the crowd will enjoy.

        It is entirely conceivable that no-one from the TV or the radio will come. Unlike the more recent tournament versions of the London Sitcom Trials and the Sitcom Mission, which have developed into top notch industry showcases and now have the direct participation of a major TV production company, the Sitcom Trials in Manchester will just be a comedy show, like the stand-up shows we all go to every week, trying to be funny and make people laugh.

        This is the second Manchester Sitcom Trials, part of Lass Fest, a weekend of comedy at the Lass O'Gowrie. Last year's show achieved its aim of filling a room with people and making them laugh, and we hope to repeat that this year.

        Kev F
        http://sitcomtrials.co.uk
      • Kev
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
          FAQ:

          I've been asked a few questions, so here are answers:

          Q: Can I enter from Australia?
          A: Yes

          Q: Can I enter more than one script?
          A: Yes

          Q: What format?
          A: Word or PDF

          Keep those entries coming.

          Kev F Sutherland
          http://sitcomtrials.co.uk
        • john.dickinson@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2011
            Hi
            Probably stupid question I know but,
            when submitting a script with the required 8 mins or less first half, should I also include the 2-3 mins long ''surprise'' ending or do I keep it to myself, hidden away until it gets a green light?
            You know, just like the whole secrecy thing that east-enders do when they decide who has killed dirty den this time round for a Christmas special. Or how they keep the next scene in whatever Will Mellor is filming a secret from Will Mellor so they don't confuse the poor chap.

            --- In SitsVac@yahoogroups.com, "Kev" <kevf@...> wrote:

            > FAQ:
            >
            > I've been asked a few questions, so here are answers:
            >
            > Q: Can I enter from Australia?
            > A: Yes
            >
            > Q: Can I enter more than one script?
            > A: Yes
            >
            > Q: What format?
            > A: Word or PDF
            >

            > Keep those entries coming.
            >
            > Kev F Sutherland
            > http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

          • Kev
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2011
              Hi John,

              include the cliffhanger and the ending, altogether in the one script please.

              Cheers

              Kev F
              Sitcom Trials