Re: storage: how much

  • spiral_72
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2012
      +1 I'm new to this, but that ratio worked very well for my collector.

      --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "yreysa" <gary@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > A lot of people use 1.5 to 2 gallons of storage per sqft of collector.
      >
      > This is basically enough storage to hold all of the heat that the collectors can produce on a sunny day. Most homes high enough heat loss and low enough collector area that the solar heat collected on a sunny day will be used within a day, so you only need storage for one sunny days worth of collection.
      >
      > I'm not sure that having the wood heating collection changes this much. If there is no sun, I guess you build a fire and store enough heat in the tank for about a day?
      >
      > Maybe others have a different mode of operation?
      >
      > Gary
      >
      > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "anthony.talorico" <anthony.talorico@> wrote:
      > >
      > > curious to see how much storage is recommended for someone using a hybrid system (solar collector and wood burning).
      > >
      > > i was going to build something similar to scotts system, but I wanted to make sure I had adequate storage size if incorporating a wood burner into the equation.

    • anthony.talorico
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2012
        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "spiral_72" <spiral_72@...> wrote:

        > +1 I'm new to this, but that ratio worked very well for my collector.
        >
        > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "yreysa" <gary@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > A lot of people use 1.5 to 2 gallons of storage per sqft of collector.
        > >
        > > This is basically enough storage to hold all of the heat that the collectors can produce on a sunny day. Most homes high enough heat loss and low enough collector area that the solar heat collected on a sunny day will be used within a day, so you only need storage for one sunny days worth of collection.
        > >
        > > I'm not sure that having the wood heating collection changes this much. If there is no sun, I guess you build a fire and store enough heat in the tank for about a day?
        > >
        > > Maybe others have a different mode of operation?
        > >
        > > Gary
        > >
        > > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "anthony.talorico" <anthony.talorico@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > curious to see how much storage is recommended for someone using a hybrid system (solar collector and wood burning).
        > > >
        > > > i was going to build something similar to scotts system, but I wanted to make sure I had adequate storage size if incorporating a wood burner into the equation.

        Thanks, I guess my chief concern is having enough volume of water to dissipate the heat from the water returning from the boiler, I am guessing that it is quite hot, since many of them operate under pressure and require an evaporation tank. I dont want to boil water off.

        I was considering a plate type heat exchanger I am not sure right now what I am going to do.
      • Doug Kalmer
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2012
          Here in southern central Tennessee, with my closed loop PV pumped system, I have 39 square feet of collector and 85 gallons of storage. I've seen water temperatures up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit from storage. As it is, we do not have a overheating problem, but if I had less storage I'm sure I would. Your collector to storage ratio is going to vary depending upon your solar access, climate, cloudiness, collector and heat exchanger efficiency, insulation levels, etc. By the way, I also have a wood burner to back up my solar hot water. See more at my links below. Doug

          Re: storage: how much
             Posted by: "yreysa" gary@... yreysa
             Date: Wed May 2, 2012 6:46 am ((PDT))

          Hi,
          A lot of people use 1.5 to 2 gallons of storage per sqft of collector.

          This is basically enough storage to hold all of the heat that the collectors can produce on a sunny day.  Most homes high enough heat loss and low enough collector area that the solar heat collected on a sunny day will be used within a day, so you only need storage for one sunny days worth of collection.

          I'm not sure that having the wood heating collection changes this much.  If there is no sun, I guess you build a fire and store enough heat in the tank for about a day?

          Maybe others have a different mode of operation?

          Gary

          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "anthony.talorico" <anthony.talorico@...> wrote:

          > curious to see how much storage is recommended for someone using a hybrid system (solar collector and wood burning).
          >
          > i was going to build something similar to scotts system, but I wanted to make sure I had adequate storage size if incorporating a wood burner into the equation.

        • John Canivan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2012
            Gary that sounds about right for most hest storage systems but let's not forget about the advantages of multiple tanks connected in series... http://www.jc-solarhomes.com/diy_solar_heat_storage.htm
            John