New here... a few questions.

  • anthony.talorico
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 1:04 PM
      Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this site.

      Solar power /heat and off grid topics are very interesting to me.

      At the present time I am operating in the theoretical aspect since I haven't built anything yet.

      I am moving to a more rural area in the coming months so I will have ample space for collectors, and a huge amount of firewood available.

      I wanted to make a sort of hybrid system allowing me to burn wood to heat water as well as a create a collector to utilize the sun.

      Some basic questions are:

      1. how big of a storage unit should I build? considering a collector perhaps 8x12, and occasional support of a wood burning insert with a 5-8 gallon water jacket and plumbing to move water.

      2. I want to install a coil into the plenum of each furnace to utilize this hot water, in addition I want to preheat domestic hot water in a closed loop coming from street.

      3. how hot is too hot, and is it likely based on the proposed scenario am I going to overheat my storage unit of say 200-400 gallons. I am worried about too much heat, and this may be unlikely but I worry about that scenario especially with a boiler situation.

      4. has anyone used water to air coils in the plenum of a forced air system and what type of pressure do they require to be effective.

      Thanks in advance