Re: [SimplySolar] Re: SPAM

  • Snkdavis
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29 3:03 PM
      Hi Gary,

      In this case, it is not the members who are spamming.  Their address books are compromised in some fashion and e-mail addresses are spoofed.  With over 1,800 members and growing daily, we just happen to be in a lot of address books.

      There is no need for you to block the users.  I put every offending address on moderated status after the first event and just delete subsequent spam.  Hopefully this recent flurry will die down soon.

      Take care,

      Scott
      MD

        It's too bad that Members feel the need to Spam. I immediately add there name to the plonk file and will miss it if they ever contribute something of use. I'm sure I am not alone.

        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

        > Hi Lawrence.
        >
        > Believe me, no one hates spammers more than me. For every spam that comes in, I have to go out to the site, delete the post, then find the member's address and put him on moderated status. It takes time and effort and is not fun. if I missed one, I apologize. I am doing my best.
        >
        > Take care,
        > Scott
        > MD

      • Greg Willson

          It's too bad that Members feel the need to Spam. I immediately add there name to the plonk file and will miss it if they ever contribute something of use. I'm sure I am not alone.

          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

          > Hi Lawrence.
          >
          > Believe me, no one hates spammers more than me. For every spam that comes in, I have to go out to the site, delete the post, then find the member's address and put him on moderated status. It takes time and effort and is not fun. if I missed one, I apologize. I am doing my best.
          >
          > Take care,
          > Scott
          > MD

        • Darin Anderson
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 29 3:22 PM

            Most often they have no idea its being done. Once someone's pc is compromised it can send spoofed emails from that address without the owners knowledge.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 29 3:47 PM
              Hi Greg,

              Again, they are all already legitimate members.  It is just that a virus has found their way into their address books.  My guess is that folks who aren't recognizing these messages as spam are clicking on the link that is sent in the e-mail and then they are infected as well, so it perpetuates itself.

              Even if everyone moved to a new group, the new group address would then be in folks address books and it would continue.

              Hopefully, folks who have seen their own e-mail address come back with a link they did not send are taking steps to purge the virus.

              Take care,

              Scott
              MD

              It's too bad that Members feel the need to Spam. I immediately add there name to the plonk file and will miss it if they ever contribute something of use. I'm sure I am not alone.

              --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

              > Hi Lawrence.
              >
              > Believe me, no one hates spammers more than me. For every spam that comes in, I have to go out to the site, delete the post, then find the member's address and put him on moderated status. It takes time and effort and is not fun. if I missed one, I apologize. I am doing my best.
              >
              > Take care,
              > Scott
              > MD

            • Michael Wascher
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 29 5:40 PM
                I don't think anybody on the list has spammed it.

                Their emails were hacked, somebody else used it to send the spam.

                “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.” -- Criswell, Plan 9 from Outer Space

                On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

                Hi Greg,

                Again, they are all already legitimate members.  It is just that a virus has found their way into their address books.  My guess is that folks who aren't recognizing these messages as spam are clicking on the link that is sent in the e-mail and then they are infected as well, so it perpetuates itself.

                Even if everyone moved to a new group, the new group address would then be in folks address books and it would continue.

                Hopefully, folks who have seen their own e-mail address come back with a link they did not send are taking steps to purge the virus.

                Take care,

                Scott
                MD

                It's too bad that Members feel the need to Spam. I immediately add there name to the plonk file and will miss it if they ever contribute something of use. I'm sure I am not alone.

                --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

                > Hi Lawrence.
                >
                > Believe me, no one hates spammers more than me. For every spam that comes in, I have to go out to the site, delete the post, then find the member's address and put him on moderated status. It takes time and effort and is not fun. if I missed one, I apologize. I am doing my best.
                >
                > Take care,
                > Scott
                > MD

              • Jesse Valentine
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29 7:58 PM
                  I just want to drop a note regarding the SPAM/Hacked account issue.  it's less likely that somebody is hacking into accounts.  This problem has been one for years in the computer industry.  It's most likely an EMAIL VIRUS, they are designed to spam all by themselves.  it usually happens to people using outlook or some similar program to read/write email.  Typically something has been accessed, either an infected email from somebody else, OR a web popup window.  I got one once by trying to install a video codec from a web page.  once this virus has been accessed it can either select the entire address book or random people but it will then start sending random emails.  then your contacts get the email, open the link/program and it starts on their system... Others just suggest to install some soft ware and start causing the computer to run poorly and then suggest that you purchase some software to "fix" the computer.  these viruses WERE HUGE ISSUES BACK IN THE DAY.  now a days it's more about identify theft and cheating you out of a small amount of cash, stealing your credit card # etc...  I haven't seen a new virus that burns up hard drives and crashes windows in a long time.. just the malware junk slowing computers down trying to sell fake software for $$ to make it go away

                    if I'm not mistaken this is usually called Adware, Malware.   but in the end it still functions as a virus, you can't just delete it, it will repopulate, some anti virus software manufactures have removal software for SOME problems but not all.

                  16 years end user computer support. 100+ workstation network support, I have plenty experience...

                  I have been getting similar emails from an email address COMPLETELY unrelated to simply solar, these emails have similar content, I promise there is not some guy sitting around typing out those emails, they are randomly generated from a VIRUS LIKE PROGRAM that some member probably doesn't even know they have.

                  my advice isn't any different from any other computer tech. - don't open strange attachments from ANYONE even people you know ... if you are really tempted, check with the sender to make sure it's legit and they actually sent it before opening it.  FYI virus software can't stop these things because at some point you agree to install them after that the damage is done.  there are ways to remove some, sorry I can't help I always format and reinstall.  haven't had the problem in years anyway, switched to mac when windows 7 came out, haven't had a computer problem since :)

                  my 2 cents

                  Jes

                  On Apr 29, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Michael Wascher wrote:

                  I don't think anybody on the list has spammed it.

                  Their emails were hacked, somebody else used it to send the spam.

                  “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.” -- Criswell, Plan 9 from Outer Space

                  On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

                  Hi Greg,

                  Again, they are all already legitimate members.  It is just that a virus has found their way into their address books.  My guess is that folks who aren't recognizing these messages as spam are clicking on the link that is sent in the e-mail and then they are infected as well, so it perpetuates itself.

                  Even if everyone moved to a new group, the new group address would then be in folks address books and it would continue.

                  Hopefully, folks who have seen their own e-mail address come back with a link they did not send are taking steps to purge the virus.

                  Take care,

                  Scott
                  MD

                  It's too bad that Members feel the need to Spam. I immediately add there name to the plonk file and will miss it if they ever contribute something of use. I'm sure I am not alone.

                  --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Lawrence.
                  >
                  > Believe me, no one hates spammers more than me. For every spam that comes in, I have to go out to the site, delete the post, then find the member's address and put him on moderated status. It takes time and effort and is not fun. if I missed one, I apologize. I am doing my best.
                  >
                  > Take care,
                  > Scott
                  > MD

                • Joe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29 8:07 PM
                    Actually I think you are Alone,

                    is the delete soo hard to hit that you now may miss any information that person may post in the future?

                    Yes spam stinks. and what Scott does to cure it is the best.  I'd say let all the filtering happen at Scotts end. or  the hijacked by accident spammer may have a cool new idea for An antenna and you'll never know it.

                    Just my 2 cents.  Click is such a hard thing to do,

                    Joe WB9SBD
                    Sig
                    The Original Rolling Ball Clock
                    Idle Tyme
                    Idle-Tyme.com
                    http://www.idle-tyme.com

                    On 4/29/2012 4:47 PM, garyprogers@... wrote:
                    It's too bad that Members feel the need to Spam. I immediately add there name to the plonk file and will miss it if they ever contribute something of use. I'm sure I am not alone.

                    --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

                    Hi Lawrence.

                    Believe me, no one hates spammers more than me.  For every spam that comes in, I have to go out to the site, delete the post, then find the member's address and put him on moderated status.  It takes time and effort and is not fun.  if I missed one, I apologize.  I am doing my best.

                    Take care,
                    Scott
                    MD

                    I see this site is degenerating into a dump site for SPAM. Where
                    are the owners/MODERATORS to police this crap?

                    The last two posts are SPAM from spoofed members addresses.

                    ------------------------------------

                    Our Simply Solar mission statement is to make all the great benefits of DIY solar easily, inexpensively accessible to everyone.  We are about brainstorming and sharing ways to implement solar heat easily, that anyone, regardless of DIY ability, can use to put money back in their pockets, green back in the environment and have a lot of fun along the way!

                    If you know someone who may be interested in participating, please encourage them to join Simply Solar:

                    Thanks for your continued involvement!Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)