Re: [SimplySolar] Intro

  • Bob Keeland
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 27, 2012

      I suggest that you add large water tanks (at least 1000 gallon or larger) to collect rainwater off your roof.
      BobK

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 15
        Something that is nice is to leave a small light bulb (in a trouble light) on in the bottom drawer of your tool cabinet. Warm tools on a cold morning are like dying and going straight to workman-heaven.

        Older tools were made differently and from different cast iron. New cast iron is often more like steel when it comes to quality. I think a lot of present day cast iron is made from not very well sorted scrap - rather than from just high quality ore.

        A convection or low powered wall collector seems like it would serve you well. If you want some instant-enthusiasm just make your self a small cheap prototype - paint a long box black inside and tape some clear plastic to one open long side.

        stephen

        On Jan 14, 2016, at 10:40 PM, mranum@... [SimplySolar] <SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Thanks the input guys, you've given me some things to think about. Building a collector or two on the outside of my shop may be what I will end up doing, seems like its the most viable option. This isn't intended to be my sole source of heat but rather a suppliment.

        I heat my shop now with a high efficient LP direct vent furnace. I do not typically heat it at night, generally daylight hours 80% of the time. I use 100# cylinders(my own) for gas. I've had people tell me I can't do that without developing rust issues on my tools because of the temperature swings. But I can say that after 20 years I have never had any issues with rust. I use a lot of old hand tools(early 1900's) with lots of cast iron but no rust.
        I neglected to give my location earlier but I am in central Wisconsin.