Re: Suntuf

  • yreysa
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24 5:29 PM
      Hi,
      For an 8 ft wide collector, you are probably going to want a vertical support in the middle of the collector just to keep the SunTuf from getting banged around too much in the wind -- so you are left with two 4 ft wide panels.

      I've just used silicone and a few sheet metal screws for the joint. I put a sheet of suntuf on the floor, apply a bead of silicone down the edge corrugation, place the other sheet on top and press it down into the silicone. Leaving it on the floor, I put a 1 by board in the corrugation and put weights on top of it.
      After the silicone is cure, I add a few sheet metal screws in NOT oversize holes just to make me feel better.
      The holes don't want to be oversized because they are there to hold the two sheets of SunTuf together, so there is no differential expansion.
      I've not had any trouble with panels done this way.

      You will want a couple horizontal supports behind the SunTuf, or it will buckle as it heats up. I use EMT thin wall galvanized electrical conduit for this, which works well.
      You can see these horizontal supoorts here:
      http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/PEXColDHW/CollectorConstruction.htm
      Note that on this collector I also used the conduit behind the vertical joints as Steve described.

      Gary

      --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "tshulba" <tshulba@...> wrote:

      > We have a 8x8 air collector complete except for the glazing. What is the best way to obtain a air tight seal on the 2 in. overlap?
      > I was thinking of just using silicone but we don't have supports behind the overlap so weighing the overlap down till the sealant dries will be difficult . The other concern is if we need to remove the glazing we now have a huge 8x8 piece of glazing to handle and i would be concerned the silicone might let go over time.
      >
      > Do we require supports behind the overlap and then screw it down to the support?
      > How do i add photos to this posting?

    • Greg Willson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24 5:39 PM
        Hi Gary,

        How easy is it to remove the panels if you attach them this way? Do you simply cut through the silicone?

        Greg, MN

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24 7:50 PM
          Hi Greg,
          I use that silicone in the corrugation method just to make the 2 ft wides into 4 ft wide panels, and these never come apart.

          When I mount the 4 ft wide panels, I don't use any kind of sealant or goo, so they come off easily. I just use the screws they sell with the EPDM washers in oversize holes.
          Along the top and bottom I use the foam wiggle strips to fill the corrugations, and to hold the panel against the foam, I take a 4 ft wide (or more) piece of the PVC wood (made for house trim) and screw that down through the Suntuf, wiggle strip, and into the collector frame -- this does a pretty nice job of clamping the Suntuf in place without having to use so many screws. The only down side of using the clamp board is that the lower one tends to make the snow stay on the collector longer.

          Gary