Re: [SimplySolar] New to Group

  • Greg Willson
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 23 4:16 PM
      Hi Peter,

      Great idea about incorporating a heater design to go with the house. Bigger is better in that you can only extract so much solar energy for a given square footage of space. With regards to thermo siphoning, taller is better, like a chimney. Perhaps making your heater look like a tall architectural design element of the home? There are some really professional looking designs out there.

      Greg, MN

      On Apr 23, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

      Hello,

      I'm new to the group and solar power. I'm some what handy with tools and
      understand the basic concepts of solar. Just don't have any practical
      experience.

      On the BuildItSolar site I found the pieces on the thermosyphons
      interesting especially the ones that hang out the window. It got me to
      thinking. Rather than a unit that hand out of the window, maybe
      building small siphons about the size of a decorative window shutter
      placed on each side the south facing windows would be an interesting
      project. So before getting into too many details, is the practical
      limit to the size of a thermalsyphon?

      Peter Thomas

    • peter__j__thomas
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 23 4:50 PM
        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Greg Willson <gbwillson@...> wrote:

        > Hi Peter,
        >
        > Great idea about incorporating a heater design to go with the house. Bigger is better in that you can only extract so much solar energy for a given square footage of space. With regards to thermo siphoning, taller is better, like a chimney. Perhaps making your heater look like a tall architectural design element of the home? There are some really professional looking designs out there.
        >
        > Greg, MN

        Aesthetics are important to my wife and the property value. If done right it would add to the value.

        Other reason is cost. I'm pretty sure I can do this without any zoning/building permits. My town in CT requires an expensive zoning permit for anything that cannot be carried by one person.

        My thinking is that by making pairs of smaller panels for each window (and slider) on the back the solar gain would be distributed through out the house without any ducting or fans. Just four small ports around each window. All together with my initial planning I'd have about 73 square feet of collectors. Each collector would be 16 inches (15 inches of actually collector). The tallest, flanking the one glass slider, would be 80 inches. I'm pretty sure it would develop enough convection. Then 3 sets that 57". The smallest being 36". Not sure if this is tall enough.

        Peter Thomas