Re: [SimplySolar] attic heating

  • Greg Willson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23 3:18 PM
      Hi Suresh,

      Ideally, a properly vented attic should be the same temperature as the outside air regardless of the season. The attic needs to have an equal amount of exhaust and intake(or slightly more intake). This ratio creates a positive flow in the attic and helps control attic temperatures and remove excess moisture. The attic should be sealed from the conditioned living space, because If you don't seal the attic bypasses(leaks), and have proper intake, the effect is like a chimney. As the air is drawn out of the high spots of the attic, air is drawn into the lower living parts of the house through various leaks around around windows, doors, and sill plates, etc. and this will waste energy.

      Greg, MN

      On Apr 23, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Suresh Patel wrote:

      Hi

      I would be interested in finding out more about this.

      But would not extracting air out of the loft simply cause more heat loss?
      Sp

      On 23 Apr 2012, at 20:17, Ivo Jara <ivojara@...> wrote:

      I have seen people keeping water jugs ikn the attic and storing heat in the water to extract to the lower floor with fans.

      regards

      Ivo