Re: [SimplySolar] Re: simply hot water

  • kenneth wersinger
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22 7:40 PM
      It will work! But you will have to cover your whole roof with PV's and have over $10,000 available to pay for it.
      That is why I say that company is very misleading. A 50 gallon water heater has two 4500 watt elements.  http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Water-Heaters-Residential-Electric/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc1u1/R-100034997/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&st
      So  250 watt elements are a joke.
      More  misstatement
        < One to two solar heaters can easily heat an average sized home>
      maybe a fish house
      <* Curved lens angle designed for efficiency and durability and far exceeds flat panel design>
      There is only so much energy per sq ft. Having the glazing curved will not increase that.
      You will get a lot better information here and at builditsolar.com for free.
      Kenneth W
      MN

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22 8:02 PM
        Hi
        I am not try to be discouraging I just don't want anyone to think One solar panel(pv)is going to heat all their water.
        Or one air collector will heat their home.
        It is important to know what will not work!!
        Please read more on this group and builditsolar.com
        This group will steer you it the right direction.
        Please don't be afraid to ask more questions.
        Believe me everyone on this group started out with very little knowledge and a lot of misconceptions.
        Kenneth W
        MN

        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <evrmc1@...> wrote:

        > It look to me that if your trying to heat water for free you would buy 2 DC hot water elements n hot water tank and put a solar panel on the roof run the wire direct to the elements and when the sun is out it heats the water for free. Nice and neat looking too. Looks like less work to me
        >
        > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, kenneth wersinger <kennethwers@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi again,
        > > I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
        > > After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
        > > I could be wrong
        > > Kenneth W
        > > MN
        > >
        > > ________________________________

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 23 2:01 AM
          You can do that, but it will be *way* more expensive for the same amount of heat. Solar PV panels are pretty costly compared to some tubing, aluminum flashing and paint.

          If heat is the goal, gathering it directly as heat (instead of the electric intermediary) is lots more efficient. A heat panel tends to run near 50% efficient; a PV panel is what 10-12%? Lots more heat harvested.

          Steve
          Maine

          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <evrmc1@...> wrote:

          > It look to me that if your trying to heat water for free you would buy 2 DC hot water elements n hot water tank and put a solar panel on the roof run the wire direct to the elements and when the sun is out it heats the water for free. Nice and neat looking too. Looks like less work to me
          >
          > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, kenneth wersinger <kennethwers@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi again,
          > > I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
          > > After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
          > > I could be wrong
          > > Kenneth W
          > > MN
          > >
          > > ________________________________

        • mark boettcher
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 23 10:00 AM

            My view is it is more efficient to heat water with solar thermal than with solar PV.

            If you have a wind turbine and can use the element as a dump load then that would be good.

            Mark

            On 04/22/2012 07:32 PM, kenneth wersinger wrote:

            Hi again,
            I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
            After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
            How are they being misleading?

            Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)