Re: [SimplySolar] simply hot water

  • Greg Willson
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22 4:29 PM
      Are you asking if you could use an electric heating element to heat the water? Of course you can, and If you have an electric water heater you are doing just that. But by using solar, you are using essentially free energy from the sun, and with the rising costs of energy, could save you a lot of money. It's also a lot of fun to work with others to come up with new ideas to harness the sun's energy.

      Greg, MN

    • kenneth wersinger
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22 4:51 PM
        You can, but solar thermo collectors are a lot more cost effective then PV panels. And one can build your own water collectors for even greater savings.
        Kenneth W
        MN

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 22 5:03 PM
          with the setup they are selling you will get very little hot water per day.
          Kenneth W
          MN

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 22 5:32 PM
            Hi again,
            I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
            After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
            I could be wrong
            Kenneth W
            MN

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 22 5:46 PM
              On 04/22/2012 07:32 PM, kenneth wersinger wrote:
              Hi again,
              I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
              After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
              How are they being misleading?

              Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)
            • kenneth wersinger
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 22 5:59 PM
                A 250 watt water heater element it not going to heat very much water.
                A small wind turbine will not get you off grid.
                (Our heater design is simply the best on the market with output temperatures of over 220 degrees. )
                A really hot output temperature make a inefficiency collector. A lot of warm air is a lot more efficiency collector.
                Kenneth W
                MN

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 22 6:03 PM
                  Found one more misleading statement.
                  <<One to two solar heaters can easily heat an average sized home.>>
                  Maybe in Florida!!
                  Kenneth W

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 22 6:55 PM
                    It look to me that if your trying to heat water for free you would buy 2 DC hot water elements n hot water tank and put a solar panel on the roof run the wire direct to the elements and when the sun is out it heats the water for free. Nice and neat looking too. Looks like less work to me

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 22 7:40 PM
                      It will work! But you will have to cover your whole roof with PV's and have over $10,000 available to pay for it.
                      That is why I say that company is very misleading. A 50 gallon water heater has two 4500 watt elements.  http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Water-Heaters-Residential-Electric/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc1u1/R-100034997/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&st
                      So  250 watt elements are a joke.
                      More  misstatement
                        < One to two solar heaters can easily heat an average sized home>
                      maybe a fish house
                      <* Curved lens angle designed for efficiency and durability and far exceeds flat panel design>
                      There is only so much energy per sq ft. Having the glazing curved will not increase that.
                      You will get a lot better information here and at builditsolar.com for free.
                      Kenneth W
                      MN

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 22 8:02 PM
                        Hi
                        I am not try to be discouraging I just don't want anyone to think One solar panel(pv)is going to heat all their water.
                        Or one air collector will heat their home.
                        It is important to know what will not work!!
                        Please read more on this group and builditsolar.com
                        This group will steer you it the right direction.
                        Please don't be afraid to ask more questions.
                        Believe me everyone on this group started out with very little knowledge and a lot of misconceptions.
                        Kenneth W
                        MN

                        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <evrmc1@...> wrote:

                        > It look to me that if your trying to heat water for free you would buy 2 DC hot water elements n hot water tank and put a solar panel on the roof run the wire direct to the elements and when the sun is out it heats the water for free. Nice and neat looking too. Looks like less work to me
                        >
                        > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, kenneth wersinger <kennethwers@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi again,
                        > > I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
                        > > After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
                        > > I could be wrong
                        > > Kenneth W
                        > > MN
                        > >
                        > > ________________________________

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 23 2:01 AM
                          You can do that, but it will be *way* more expensive for the same amount of heat. Solar PV panels are pretty costly compared to some tubing, aluminum flashing and paint.

                          If heat is the goal, gathering it directly as heat (instead of the electric intermediary) is lots more efficient. A heat panel tends to run near 50% efficient; a PV panel is what 10-12%? Lots more heat harvested.

                          Steve
                          Maine

                          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <evrmc1@...> wrote:

                          > It look to me that if your trying to heat water for free you would buy 2 DC hot water elements n hot water tank and put a solar panel on the roof run the wire direct to the elements and when the sun is out it heats the water for free. Nice and neat looking too. Looks like less work to me
                          >
                          > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, kenneth wersinger <kennethwers@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi again,
                          > > I am not saying their lying but I think their videos are very misleading.
                          > > After looking at some of their videos I would not buy anything from them out of principle (I hate it when company's mislead people)
                          > > I could be wrong
                          > > Kenneth W
                          > > MN

                        • mark boettcher
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 23 10:00 AM

                            My view is it is more efficient to heat water with solar thermal than with solar PV.

                            If you have a wind turbine and can use the element as a dump load then that would be good.

                            Mark