Re: [SimplySolar] choices. corrugated vs (suntuf? vs screen)?

  • kenneth wersinger
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21 8:24 PM
      Hi,
      I am just testing the design. I already have a 320sq ft collector setup. This is just for fun and to help prove or disprove whether coroplast will make a good low cost collector.
      The goop glue seams to work good if the coroplast is prepped right (flame treated)
      Now I am thinking about a system to vent if it is stagnated ed  to prevent damage. (a spring and glue stick that melts and opens a vent?)
      Kenneth W
      MN

      From: 'baby' angelo <bandaidsrcool@...>

      i'm in michigan, about 44 deg north. any thoughts on scaling up the coroplast? thinking about a 400ft area of flat collectors

      Hi Micheal,
      I have been working with the coroplast collector design. Here is what a have come up with
      The main problem with coroplast is getting glue to stick. Flame treating helps with that. The second problem is stagnation temperatures will wrinkle the coroplast like wet cardboard.
      Where are you located so the group can better answer your questions.
      Kenneth W
      MN

      From: micheala <bandaidsrcool@...>
        planning on some sort of thermal solar for 1050ft trailer (hoping to TOTALLY avoid the $400+ cost of getting the expensive propane hooked up). space isn't an issue :)

      for water heating, i'm liking these plans for corrugated plastic, just scaled up somehow. not quite sure about using this type for potable water.
      http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-flat-panel-solar-thermal-collector/

      air heating = screen collector or aluminum cans under suntuf?

      thermal storage, i'm thinking a nice sized hole... three 200 gallon tanks made from EPDM liner, with a couple transfer tubes to keep one of the tanks a bit cooler for getting less collector loss.

      pex tubing is cheap, especially with craigslist. i just cant decide what size to get it in (thoughts?)

      ----------
      questions are
      1) combining systems? better suggestions?
      2) what size of pex would be best for home heating
      3) cheapest insulation for in ground 'tanks'.
      4) anything you guys want tested which i could use?

    • Jesse Valentine

        From: micheala <bandaidsrcool@...>
[...]

        =
      • kenneth wersinger
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22 10:13 AM
          Hi Jesse,
          <<Why not set up a separate snap switch and fan that can come on at critical temperatures to vent the system?>>
          It will not work during a power outage. Otherwise it is a good ideal.
          Thanks
          Kenneth W
          MN