Re: [SimplySolar] back to drainback

  • John Canivan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19 5:36 AM
      Fred another alternative would be to build a remote sun shed (drain back or trickle down system) that's used to collect and store solar heat like the ones that Gary and I built. My shed and storage system were not well insulated since it was only used as an experiment and a place to store tools. All you have to do is run some insulated lines into your house when you need heat or hot water.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19 5:45 AM
        sorry no one seems to remember you from a month ago Fred, but I do. I know money is tight and you are stuck with what you have. To answer your question and not suggest you spend any more dimes...... A low spot in your piping is going to be a problem. If you used glycol in your drain back then as long as the pipe only has fluid, and not the collector it will be ok. If you can get the collector up on the roof then that is the best of all. I hope this information is helpful to you.

        Timothy A. Pendergast
        Certified Solar Thermal Installer, NABCEP No. ST091110-41
        PO Box 75715, Saint Paul, MN 55175
        suntapenergy@...
        (612) 817-8721

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2012
          Hello all,
          Thanks to everyone who responded with answers on this. I am happy to report that I manage to hook up the dc powered pump to a battery and after fixing some leaks, I have a working drainback system! and it works with the tank in the original location; right next to the furnace.
          Next step is to build the tank and get a solar panel to run the pump.

          Here's a question: is there some sort of relay that i could get that could be used in a PV panel controlled hot water system that would keep the pump from coming on 1/2 way when the sun isn't full on? in other words; the pump wouldn't come on until the voltage got to a certain amount?

          Also i am happy to report that a friend who has been watching the experiments that i have been doing has asked me to help him with building a pool heater for him. Another convert!

          As always, thanks in advance
          Fred

          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <peck272@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > on the drainback system that i refer to in thread "hot water system has changed", I had a thought. The panel is now located on the ground. I am having the problem with the pipe sloping going to the tank, i just cant maintain the continuous downward slope from the panel to the tank.
          > so here is my thought: i cant fix the downward slope but if i were to relocate the panel to the roof; would that give me enough (not sure of the term) pressure to get the drainback to work?
          >
          > as always, thank you in advance
          > Fred

        • yreysa
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2012
            Hi,
            You may be better off to add a differential controller designed for PV powered systems -- like this one:
            http://www.arttecsolar.com/index.htm

            The problem with using just the PV panel to turn the pump off and on is that PV panels get more efficient as the ambient temperature goes down and solar thermal collectors get less efficient. And, the PV only control cannot take into account the temperature of the water in the storage tank and wait longer to turn the pump on when the tank water is hot and turn the pump on earlier when the tank water is cool.

            Gary