Re: [SimplySolar] Re: CPVC

  • Greg Willson
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 19 5:32 AM
      Thanks Gary-

      Was there any off-gassing once you reached the higher temps?

      Greg, MN

      On Apr 18, 2012, at 7:20 PM, yreysa wrote:

      Hi Greg,
      Very little -- it was surprising how little finger pressure resulted in the buckle.

      With the PAP at lower temps its hard to bend with finger pressure at all, so it was a bit surprising when it just buckled over with light finger pressure.

      Gary

      --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Greg Willson <gbwillson@...> wrote:

      > Gary-
      >
      > What I ment to ask was how far did you bend it before it kinked.
      >
      > Greg, MN
      >

      > On Apr 17, 2012, at 9:31 PM, yreysa wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > > Here is the redo of the oven test on CPVC (and also PEX and PAP).
      > >
      > > I was indeed sloppy about measuring temps the first time around, and this test shows better performance for the CPVC. Sorry if that mislead anyone.
      > >
      > > http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/CPVCAlumCollector/OvenTestCPVC.htm
      > >
      > > Gary
      > >
      > > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, "yreysa" <gary@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > > I went back and looked at how I did that test and I'd like to do it again in the larger oven with the CPVC further away from the oven coils and also to double check the temperature readings.
      > > >
      > > > Should be able to do it later today (when the wife is out of the house :)
      > > >
      > > > I'll post a note when its updated.
      > > >
      > > > Gary

    • yreysa
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 19 8:17 AM
        Hi John,
        I'd say that 275F is way to high.
        I'd say that around 230F on a very occasional basis in a non-pressurized system might be OK.

        Gary

        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, John Canivan <canivan@...> wrote:

        > Nice test Gary. It looks like CPVC and PEX can handle high temps up to 275* F... PVC starts to bend around 200*F.
        > I had a melt down inside my first MTD collector using PVC supports. http://www.jc-solarhomes.com/CLASS/19.%20First_MTD_collector.htm.
        > As long as you got your experiment out of the oven before your wife got home you have a free pass to continue experimenting.
        > John

      • yreysa
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 19 8:18 AM
          Hi Greg,
          There was a slight odor permeating the kitchen -- so, maybe some outgassing -- not sure.

          Gary

          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Greg Willson <gbwillson@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Gary-
          >
          > Was there any off-gassing once you reached the higher temps?
          >
          > Greg, MN
          >

          > On Apr 18, 2012, at 7:20 PM, yreysa wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Greg,
          > > Very little -- it was surprising how little finger pressure resulted in the buckle.
          > >
          > > With the PAP at lower temps its hard to bend with finger pressure at all, so it was a bit surprising when it just buckled over with light finger pressure.
          > >
          > > Gary
          > >
          > > --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Greg Willson <gbwillson@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Gary-
          > > >
          > > > What I ment to ask was how far did you bend it before it kinked.
          > > >
          > > > Greg, MN

        • John Canivan
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 21 6:01 PM
            Yes I see you tested up to 275* F when it became soft, but you feel that 230*F is as high as a person should go with CVPC.
            I was wondering how you determined this. PVC get's noticanly soft at 220* F but I would not use it above 200*F. I thought the cut off for CVPC would be a little higher. What would you recommend for the highest temp for PEX with 50 PSI of pressure?
            John