siliconing absorber plates to copper

  • Mark Wiggins
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
      Question on waiting for the silicon to dry or not when applying absorber plate to copper,should i wait for the silicon to dry with the clamps, then do the next plate the same way .I am trying toget a  time frame     Thanks  Mark
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
        What I did (from BuilditSolar)is you attach the absorber to the backing plywood with staples (or screws/nails, but that sounds like a lot of work). The fasteners take over when you remove the clamps. The staples or whatnot should probably be stainless.

        An air stapler is a very nice thing to have around at this point.

        Steve
        Maine

        --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wiggins <markwiggins13@...> wrote:

        > Question on waiting for the silicon to dry or not when applying absorber plate to copper,should i wait for the silicon to dry with the clamps, then do the next plate the same way .I am trying toget a  time frame     Thanks  Mark

      • yreysa
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
          Hi Mark,
          The silicone will take a long time to cure because its between two sheets of metal and it needs water from the air to cure. Its not practical to wait before moving the clamps.

          You can staple to a plywood backing -- this works fine.

          A method I like a bit better is the one shown here: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/DHWplusSpace/CollectorConstruction.htm

          You put an about 3 inch wide strip under the fin and tube, and while the fin is tightly clamped, screw the fin to the 3 inch wide strip on both sides -- this holds it in place so you can remove the clamp. Once the silicone cures, the screws are not needed, but they are there as backup.
          I like this method a little better, as it does not add the thermal mass of the plywood to the absorber, and it also basically thickens the middle part of the fin, which makes it a bit more efficient.

          Gary

          --- In SimplySolar@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wiggins <markwiggins13@...> wrote:

          > Question on waiting for the silicon to dry or not when applying absorber plate to copper,should i wait for the silicon to dry with the clamps, then do the next plate the same way .I am trying toget a  time frame     Thanks  Mark

        • bookbound1
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
            I used screws on mine just this week and it was quite easy. With sharp screws you dont need to drill holes. Was fun and pretty quick.
            For mine I had the plywood behind the insulation and I ran 1 5/8" screws thru the fins, then thru the alum flashing behind fins, then thru the 1" insulation and into the plywood in the back.

            Mitch in NC