Silver Daggers

  • generalskull_wtx
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 25, 2004
      Message one.
    • generalskull_wtx
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        OK guys...I just got an email from Dean Ross...owner of the Red
        Castle at the Texas Renaissance Festival. He's the guy I get all of
        my Starfire stage blades from...because he always makes me a great
        deal. Anyway...I'm passing on his email to me...to you. As you can
        see...the price of the daggers is going to be about $37.00 each.
        We talked about which dagger we wanted to use...and those who spoke
        up about it said that they pretty much all liked the dagger without
        the quillions. The quillions would just end up getting tangled in
        clothing or scarves or whatever. I wear my dagger in my boot
        normally. I have carried one with quillions in there before
        also...but I can't wear it on the inside because they rub against my
        other leg when I walk. So anyway...after talking about it with
        members on this group a week or so ago...this is the dagger we're
        going with.
        It will have a silvery colored suede wrap for the grip, that will be
        turned inside out...or slick side out. They said that this would
        keep it more shiny and new looking longer. We'll have the wrap glued
        or whatever he thinks is best...because if we don't...and I have a
        dagger that this is happening to now...the leather will start to roll
        up on you as you train with the blade. And that's a REAL pain in the
        butt. The grip will have a special wrap on it that they will do only
        for the Silver Daggers. If you see this knife with this
        wrap...you'll know that they are members of our group. Also...I'll
        give Dean a list of our members and he said that he'll give us
        special deals on any of the weapons we would like to buy from him.
        So...if no one has any problems with any of this...I need to start
        getting names of people who need daggers. You can obviously buy more
        than one...and if you would like to get an extra dagger with
        quillions just for show...or whatever...that's fine too. I'm sure
        that Dean won't mind an extra sale. BUT...ONLY the Silver Daggers
        will be allowed to carry these. If you have a friend who wants one
        or something like that...please don't give into them. This is a very
        exclusive group we're putting together...and the daggers are ONLY for
        us.
        I've had MANY people email me and say that they would like to be a
        member of our group in a "supporting" role...or to carry water for us
        or whatever...and I told them that we can support ourselves and carry
        our own water. We don't need squires or water boys. Each member of
        this group is combat oriented...that's the only rule we have...but
        it's set in stone.
        So anyway...read what he says about the daggers and let's get an
        order ready for him.
        If you would like to order something and pay with a credit card...we
        can do that also. I take credit cards for my martial arts
        school...so I can take numbers and exp. dates over the phone...and
        then just write Dean a business check or give him my business credit
        card number.

        General Skull

        Good Day Curt,

        So, how many daggers are we talking about?
        As for tightness of the wrap, if the foundation cords are electrical
        taped or plastidipped, and the leather or braids are glued on to that
        the wires are just for show (and extra grip).

        D-8's List for 55.00, I can do em for about 37.00 unless the grip
        material you choose is significantly higher cost than our usual suede.
        There are many ways of making the grips more secure and permanent,
        most of which we do not use for normal retail because they are secure
        and permanent. (go figure....) Braids are nice but they do add weight
        to the standard grip. If the grips are glue-bonded to the foundations
        they can last for ever, or until you put them on a grinder.

        Yours aye,

        Dean
      • GeneralSkull@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2004
          We are having people starting "chapters" of the Silver Daggers in a couple of different places...and it's pretty exciting.  I'm looking forward to getting to do some training with all of you.
          We're also getting some more advanced martial artists in the group now so gaining some training won't be too hard before long.
          Also...we've put a few training video clips in the FILES section of the site...so check those out.

          As far as putting together a Silver Dagger group...the trick is to fine martial artists ONLY.  The don't have to be members of any certain martial arts system...but they do have to have an understanding of combat skills.  Maybe they are from Karate or Kung Fu...or maybe they are from Wrestling or Judo...or maybe they fight with Foam Weapons from AMTGard.  So long as they are fighters in some way.
          I was talking to someone earlier about the difference between steel and foam fighting...and though foam combat isn't as "realistic" as steel combat...it's sort of like Point Karate isn't as real as Full-contact Karate.  BUT...they can both have their place in a combat learning situation.  With foam...you can blast in on your opponent and try out techniques that you just would never attempt with steel.  With steel...if you screwed it up...you would get killed.  With foam...it wouldn't really hurt all that much.  So you aren't afraid to try new things out and see how they work.
          It's sort of like when I practice kickboxing.  If I'm fighting with one of my black belts and I try a new technique and I screw it up...they're going to beat me to a pulp.  So I practice the technique on "under" belts to get it down first.  I know that I'm fast enough to recover if I mess the technique up so that they won't kill me.  Once I get the move down...then I start working it on my advanced students...then I move it up to my black belts.  I don't just jump into the deep end unless I'm sure I can pull off the technique.
          BUT...getting back to the point here.  So long as the members are practicing fighters...feel them out and see what you think of them.  Many people have contacted me about joining the Daggers but they...for whatever reason...couldn't actually fight.  They offered to carry our weapons...sort of like a Caddy...or to bring us water or whatever.  I told them that we're Silver Daggers...no one touches our weapons but us...and we carry our own water.
          We don't need "helpers" in this group.  It's a group for ONLY martial artists.

          We'll have a pretty demanding oath that we'll take to make sure that people are loyal to us and aren't out there misusing the skills they are learning from us.  I'll post the oath in a file soon and all of our people will get membership cards soon too.

          Also...I need to get a count for the actual Daggers we'll be ordering.  I posted the response I got back from Dean as to how much the daggers were going to cost and I THINK he said they would be about $37.  Which is $18 under what the normal price would be.  I would like to put together a large first order for him...so start posting or emailing me privately.
          I'll start collecting the money for the Daggers now and put the order in as soon as I have enough for 10 or 15.  ALSO...I think everyone has looked at the actual dagger on the Starfire Swords site...the 8" dagger without the quillion.  That will be our OFFICIAL dagger because it's the most realistic for a fighter to use.

          General Skull
        • generalskull_wtx
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 21, 2005
            OK guys...there's a picture of the Daggers in the photo files, for
            those who haven't seen them yet.

            GS
          • M Graves
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 21, 2005
              I saw them at Red Castle over the weekend. Very
              impressive.

              --- generalskull_wtx <GeneralSkull@...> wrote:

              > OK guys...there's a picture of the Daggers in the
              > photo files, for
              > those who haven't seen them yet.
              >
              > GS

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Glenn W Germany
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 21, 2005
                OK, I just picked up my dagger as well...nice...
                Now that we have them I think that we need to come up with a coat
                of arms, a motto and a date that we can get together and put them to
                use.
                As far as a motto goes my two cents worth is as follows..."All
                for One"... that's my thought. As far as the rest of it goes; it
                doesn't matter if no one else plays so...let's have some input here
                folks.
                What do you think?
                Glenn
              • GeneralSkull@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21, 2005
                  I like "All For One..."  It sort of says...One for all...and All for ME!  LOL
                  I've been kicking around a coat of arms...but haven't come up with anything that really just jumps out at me.  I'm thinking that it should be pretty simple though.  Maybe three crossed daggers?  Or one dagger being held in a fist?  We don't want anything that's been used too much though.  Daggers with a drop of blood at the tip or a dagger through a heart.
                  As I said...I'm willing to put open the place up for some more training.  I've got a black belt testing on the 10th of Dec. but other than that...I'm open.  Just let me know.

                  Curt
                • eladesmier@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 22, 2005
                    Great, I anxiously await my dagger!
                    As for my weekends they are pretty shot for a while.
                    As for the coat of arms, as of this Friday I will be starting a vinyl cutting company. I should be able to get some window decals done at cost, using our SD logo.

                    ,Dez
                  • GeneralSkull@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 22, 2005
                      Hey Dez...how can I get the dagger to you???

                      Curt
                    • eladesmier@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 26, 2005
                        I will be in the north houston area Sunday night. Other than that would be sometime next weekend. Call me and we can wrk out a time that is convienent.

                        ,Dez
                        409-789-4035
                      • GeneralSkull@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 27, 2005
                          Hey Dez...my number is 281-236-5676.  Give me a call when you're heading to the North side of town.  I've got plans for the evening but I'm not sure what time it's going to be or what time I'll be there.  I've got my son this weekend but will be taking him back to his mother this evening around 6 or 7.  So basically...I don't know what time I'll be in Spring.
                        • GeneralSkull@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 21, 2006
                            That's great peinture84@....  Do you work with any weapons?  Are you a fighter?  The Silver Daggers is a group of ONLY martial artists in some way.  I'll need more information on you before you can become a member of our group.  It's not just a renaissance group of people who get together to talk about festivals.

                            Thanks

                            General Skull