Potting up for plant sale

  • LaserBlast@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2008
      Please pot up for our plant sale this weekend asap -- we want healthy, strong specimens our customers will be able to transplant and have good fortune with.

      Here is what I observed over the last few weeks at other plant sales:

      - if it is in bloom, it sells
      - Lily of the Valley practically fly off the tables - at $3 each the Monastery Sale sold out of over 100 potted plants in a just a few hours - please pot up all you can - in flower, even better
      - cut flowers are great - remember Sunday is Mother's Day!
      - shade perennials are really in demand
      - flowering shrubs and small trees fetch a premium price (think dogwood, redbud, spirea, etc.)
      - herbs, sweet peppers and tomatoes are hot -- ironically, hot peppers are not
      - mixed plantings and baskets do not do so well

      Please add your own observations.

      (I'm CCing the Four Seasons club as I think they could profit off this advice as well.)

      Sincerely,
      Kathy Jentz
      Editor/Publisher
      Washington Gardener
      Magazine
      826 Philadelphia Ave.
      Silver Spring MD 20910
      301-588-6894
      wgardenermag@...
      http://www.washingtongardener.com/

      Our mission: to help your Washington, DC, area garden grow better!
      Subscribe today for $20 a year by sending a check to the address above.
      The magazine makes a great gift for gardening friends!

      In a message dated 5/4/2008 5:36:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, egaldrich@... writes:

      By the truckload:

      Green Liriope – Seriously, tell me how much you want, I will sell it by the trash bag full.

      1 gallons:

      2 Citrumelo ‘Dunstan’ (z.7) hardy grapefruit …this is the most edible hardy citrus for z.7a – a sour grapefruit

      2 Opuntia violacea ‘Santa Rita’ purple pads/yellow flowers

      2 Agave lophantha

      5 Zingiber mioga (z.6 Japanese ginger – yellow fls)