Four Seasons' Invite to Dr. Richard Bittne r's ‘Conifers for American Gardens'

  • LaserBlast@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008

      Jim Dronenburg, club member, asked me to forward this invite on to all of you:

           For the Four Seasons Garden Club’s first April Outing (there are three this month), which is Saturday April 5, the Four Seasons is scheduled to hear Dr. Richard Bittner, author of ‘Conifers for American Gardens’,  speak.  This will be at the Beltsville Behnke’s at one thirty PM.   He’s a great speaker and will absolutely make you think of conifers in a new light.  He will also be selling & signing his book.  I’ve heard him speak (last year at Swarthmore) and got him down here….

          From there, the group will take a few minutes to terrorize Behnke’s and then go out for a tour of Susanna Farm, in Boyds, MD.  They specialize in both Unusual Conifers, and Conifers of Unusual Size.  Also Japanese maples…I’ll try to get the group herded there by three PM.

          To get to Behnke’s in Beltsville, take your best route to the north side of the Washington Beltway, and exit on Md. Rte 1 North.  Go – THIS IS A GUESS—about two and a half miles, you will pass a Costco on the right and the next light should be Powder Mill Road .  Go through that, and through the next light, and then Behnke’s is on the left.  You can’t miss it, it goes for two city blocks and has signs the size of Saskachewan.

          The meeting is in the 2nd floor of the northmost building of Behnke’s.  If lost, ask for the Dawn Rose room.  Enter the second floor via some metal exterior stairs on the west side of the building.

           To get to Susanna Farm from Behnke’s:

       Leave B’s, turn right(south) on Rte 1 and retrace your path to the Beltway, and take the beltway West.  Exit the beltway on I-270.  Go north on 270 to exit 18 (Rte 121, Boyds/Clarksburg) .  At end of exit, turn towards Boyds on Clarksburg Road . Continue until the road ends.  Turn right- the road immediately becomes White Ground Road .  Stay on White Ground Road for approximately 3.4 miles.  Susanna Farm Nursery is on the right.

      NOTE: Second outing is the twelfth, to David Culp’s garden in PA, and then to Tyler Arboretum.

      Monthly Meeting is Mon eve the 14th, at behnke Potomac location, seven thirty pm.  Sandy McDougle of Sandy ’s Plants will speak on ‘Plants for Difficult Situations’ and have a show and tell of actual plants outside in her truck.

      Third outing is Whitman Walker work day on the 20th

      -------------------------

      Sincerely,
      Kathy Jentz
      Editor/Publisher
      Washington Gardener
      Magazine
      826 Philadelphia Ave.
      Silver Spring MD 20910
      301-588-6894
      editor@... http://www.washingtongardener.com/

      Our mission: to help your Washington, DC, area garden grow better!
      Subscribe today for $20 a year by sending a check to the address above.
      The magazine makes a great gift for gardening friends!