Trip and Tour Planning - YOUR input needed

  • LaserBlast@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 8:42 AM
      Hi!

      Hope you all are enjoying the summer - we have no meetings or newsletter in July and August, but I did have a bit of club business I wanted to tackle during this downtime.

      1. Jim Adams of the British Embassy Resident spoke to us recently and offered a tour of the grounds. I'm thinking late Sept/early Oct. BUT we need a few dates.times to propose to him. He canNOT do weekends as that is the Ambassadors private family time on the grounds. (There is a pool, tennis courts, etc.)
         So I'm thinking a Friday morning say 10am to meet there. I think we'd be done by Noon and folks could go off to lunch together if desired or just go home - we'd play it by ear.
          Is there a better time or weekday? Let me know your thoughts by July 21 so I can get back with Jim and we can nail down an exact date.

      2. The Eurpean trip options are endless - I have talk to the tour planner we used before - they are great and sent me many different scenarios. I had not gone on any of these club trips as it was before my time, but I'm definitely interested in starting this up again for 2009 as we had many member requests to do so. What I need is HELP narrowing down these options.
          Right now I'm leaning towards Portugal as A. it is the least expensive and most bang for our weak buck and B. the club has never been there before and C. I heard the gardens there are lovely.
          I would like to form a sub-committee of 3-5 of us to look at the proposals and select a destination and dates by this fall for possible travel next spring. In my vision, we would meet in person a couple times but could do most discussion via email between us.
         Please contact me by July 21 if you would like to join the Europe trip-planning committee.

      Your club prez,
      - Kathy J
    • LaserBlast@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 12:25 PM
        Terrific, Taffy - I'd like to get 1-3 more people involved and then set up a meeting in late July/early August

        - KJ
        Hi Kathy,
        I'd like to be on the Europe trip-planning committee.  I'd love to go to Portugal (went there when I was about 12, way before my interest in gardens!) or any other country in Europe.

        Taffy

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 1:13 PM
          Hi Kathy,

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6 6:57 AM
            I've been to Portugal and loved it.  I was mainly in Lisbon and points north.  The southern areas, although apparently beautiful, did not appeal to me as much.  The gardens I saw were wonderful.  The country is magical, at least the old parts.   I was there in 1982.  I suspect the modern is overwhelming the old ever more as everywhere, but hope to hear from those of you who go that it is not the case.  I can't go on this trip, but wish all of you who do so a very fine time and hope that one meeting of the group will be a slide show of your garden photos from the trip.   Oh, and diet beforehand.  The food is very good and very fattening there, as I recall.

            -Dan Weil