October 2011 Club Newsletter

  • LaserBlast@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2011
      Hi -

      Here is the October 2011 Club Newsletter -- PDF attached and raw text copied below my signature here.

      Sincerely,
      Kathy Jentz
      Editor/Publisher
      Washington Gardener Magazine
      826 Philadelphia Ave.
      Silver Spring MD 20910
      301-588-6894
      WGardenermag@...
      www.WashingtonGardener.com

      Follow us on:
      http://twitter.com/WDCGardener
      facebook.com/WashingtonGardenerMagazine
      washingtongardener.blogspot.com

      Our mission: to help your Washington, DC, area garden grow better!
      Subscribe today for $20 a year by sending a check to the address above.
      The magazine makes a great gift for gardening friends!

      * Help save paper - do you need to print this email? *

      ----------------
      SilverSpringGardenClub
      THE GRAPEVINE
      Volume 34, Number 8 October 2011

      “WICKED BUGS” TaLk

      Author Amy Stewart shares a darkly comical look at the sinister side of our relationship with the insect world. In this talk based on her latest New York Times best-seller, you’ll meet creatures that infest, infect, and generally wreak havoc on human affairs. From the world’s most painful hornet, to the flies that transmit deadly diseases, to millipedes that stop traffic, to the “bookworms” that devour libraries, to the Japanese beetles munching on your roses, Wicked Bugs delves into the extraordinary power of six and eight-legged creatures. It’s a mixture of history, science, murder, and intrigue that begins—but doesn’t end—in your own backyard.

      Amy Stewart is the bestselling author of five books on the perils
      and pleasures of the natural world. She has been featured on NPR,
      in the New York Times, and on CBS “Sunday Morning.” She
      is the recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship
      and the American Horticultural Society’s 2010 Book Award. Visit
      www.AmyStewart.com for more.

      Prior to the talk, Amy’s book will be on sale at Brookside’s gift shop.
      She will be signing the book before and after the talk.

      WHEN: Monday, October 17
        Store opens at 7:00pm
        Talk starts at 8:00pm

      WHERE:    Brookside Gardens Visitors Center,
        1800 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton, Maryland

      Our post-talk meeting refreshments are provided by Silver Spring Garden Club members. Thank you to our September refreshment volunteers: Kathy Locher, Kathy Jentz, Mary Clive, Dan Weil, and Barbara Waite-Jaques.

      mEETING etiquette
      Please turn off or silence your cell phones during our meetings out of courtesy to our guest speakers and your fellow club members. If you must take a call, please wait to talk until you are out past the bathroom area and please proceed to the side lobby. Thank you.

      CLUB LEADERSHIP MEETING
      All current Silver Spring Garden Club leaders and those wishing to become involved in the club’s leadership will meet on Monday, Novemer 7 at 7:00pm at the president’s home to discuss 2012 club plans. All current officers and committee members are expected to attend. RSVP by November 5 to Kathy Jentz (301) 588-6894 or Laserblast@....
         Our club will turn 75 in 2015 and there is much we need to prepare for that celebration of our coming milestone anniversary. Persons interested in running for future office should contact Kathy Jentz at (301) 588-6894 or Laserblast@.... We need ALL of you to consider taking on leadership responsibility.

      HOLY CROSS HEALING GARDEN
      The Holy Cross Healing Garden planting is scheduled for Saturday, October 23 from 3:00-5:00pm. (The rain date is Saturday, October 29.) Please plan to join is for this fun service project to brighten up the lives of the hospital’s patients, staff, and visitors. Many hands make light work!

      New Refreshment Chair Needed
      Kathy Locher would like to step down as Refreshment Chair after many years of service. Her schedule is such that she is making few of our meetings this year.
         PLEASE consider serving in this position. It requires just coordinating the refreshments for 9 meetings a year. This involves calling and getting 5 members to bring refreshments for each meeting. (If any folks have signed up at the previous meeting, that obviously cuts the number of calls needed for the following month’s meeting.) This should not take more than an hour of your time for each meeting. Please contact Kathy Jentz, club president, at Laserblast@... if you can fill this important position.

      BE WEATHERWISE
      Winter can be unpredictable. If it becomes necessary to cancel a meeting due to inclement weather, a message will be posted to the club’s Yahoo group— http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SilverSpringGardenClub/.  If Montgomery County declares a snow emergency, there will be no meeting.

      MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY Pick Up
      Please pick up a copy of the club’s 2011 Membership Directory at the next meeting, if you have not done so already. One copy per household please. Note that the directory has personal contact information and should not be shared with nonmembers.

      REFRESHMENTS
      Please consider signing up to bring refreshments to our next meeting. We need all club members to share in this duty. NOTE: Due to Montgomery County regulations, all refreshments must be store-bought.

      CLUB SCRAPBOOK ITEMS NEEDED
      Eileen Schramm, our Club Historian, notes that the scrapbooks from the past are quite spotty. Please contact Eileen at 301.495.5768 or e.schramm@..., if you have scrapbook items to contribute. You can also bring scrapbook items to any club meeting.

      Autumn Annuals
      By Kathy Jentz
      Now that the summer heat is receding, we can all get back out into our gardens to enjoy the smell of damp earth and sound of crisp autumn leaves under our feet. Many of your hot season annuals planted in the spring and early summer may be flagging. To give them a boost and to add color to your landscape right through until the holidays, consider putting in some wonderful cool season annuals. A few of these will even last into next spring for you. Whether in your mixed plantings beds or featured in containers, these annuals will give you several more months of blooms in robust, deep colors. Round them out with some fall decor ornaments such as gourds, squash, scarecrows, corn stalks, and grasses.
         Here are 12 to try in your garden this autumn: Asters, Cabbage and Kale, Calendulas, Dianthus, Dusty Miller, Lobelia. Mums, Osteospermum and Argyranthemum, Petunia and Calibrachoa, Snapdragon, Sweet Alyssum, Viola and Pansy.
         Do two tasks at once — while putting in these annuals, why not pop your spring-blooming bulbs right in the same planting holes?

      - end -