Re: HoMe Reading and Discussion

  • rhapsody_the_bard
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In SilmarillionWritersGuild@yahoogroups.com, DawnFelagund@... wrote:

      > Greetings, all!
      > I have just finished leading a Silmarillion reading/discussion for
      > another list, and the suggestion arose that a reading and discussion
      > of The History of Middle-earth books would also be appreciated.
      > Jenni and I have decided to go ahead with it.

      Wow! I am happy for you that it was such a success!

      > If there is an interest, we would like to also post our summaries
      > here, for discussion on this list as well. If you're on this list,
      > presumably you have an interest in First-Age Middle-earth, and since
      > much of HoMe deals with The Silmarillion, it makes sense that it
      > would be of interest to us as well. (Besides the fact that there are
      > many, many plotbunnies in HoMe....)

      Well The Silmarillion is more than 1st age... 2nd age and 3rd age are
      in the Silmarillion too (The chapter of the Rings of Power does
      narrate the Ring war in a different way), but of course I am very fond
      of my Noldo elves ;) So if you only want to summarize the parts
      involving the Quenta Silmarillion (which I think you mean here).. that
      would be more doable.

      As for the plotbunnies, yes, that is why I am a bit hesistant, because
      nowadays I can't seem to open any work of Tolkien and not end up with
      a plotbunny or five. I'm afraid the same will happen with this LOL

      > This is going to be a big project, and we've yet to work out the
      > logistics completely, but we hope to start posting summaries soon!

      \o/ Good luck with that. Another question I have to ask, will it also
      be at LJ?

      Rhapsody
      (wants more hours in a day)
    • Marta Layton
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Dawn,

        > > If there is an interest, we would like to also post our summaries
        > > here, for discussion on this list as well. If you're on this list,
        > > presumably you have an interest in First-Age Middle-earth, and since
        > > much of HoMe deals with The Silmarillion, it makes sense that it
        > > would be of interest to us as well. (Besides the fact that there are
        > > many, many plotbunnies in HoMe....)

        Am I understanding you correctly that you're only looking at doing
        HoMe summaries for the First Age parts of HoMe? I am thankful for that
        but would ask that you consider broadening it just a bit. I agree that
        the LOTR drafts might be a bit out of this group's interest (though I
        think they'd be a first-rate way of getting people talking at HA), but
        still there are other passages that might be of interest to people
        here. Like the drafts of the Akallabeth and the drafts of the
        appendices that have a lot of information on the line of the Dol
        Amroth princes (which is in turn tied in to relns of elves and men in
        Middle-earth, and to the history of Numenor).

        > > This is going to be a big project, and we've yet to work out the
        > > logistics completely, but we hope to start posting summaries soon!
        >
        > \o/ Good luck with that. Another question I have to ask, will it also
        > be at LJ?

        I'd actually recommend against posting them at both places. The more
        places you post, the more you split up debate. I'll probably still be
        posting my thoughts at HA, but I'd hate to see this group's
        discussions split in half.

        Marta
      • DawnFelagund@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
          Greetings, all,
          Since there seems to be some question of the exact logistics of the HoMe reading, I hope to clarify some things! I apologize if the first email was a bit vague, but I'd yet to really discuss it yet with my co-conspirators, and we weren't exactly certain which groups would be interested and in what. But we've worked things out better now. :)

          What parts of HoMe will we be doing?
          On *this* list, we will be doing anything that relates to The Silmarillion. This includes First Age (and earlier), Second Age, and anything Third Age as it relates to the section "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age."

          The Henneth-Annun Yahoo list will be doing *all* of HoMe, including parts that pertain to LotR. Since we aren't affiliated with this group in any way, this won't affect us. Being a Silmarillion group, we won't be doing the LotR sections. Those who are interested in LotR should either join the reading at Hennth-Annun or may contact me, and I will send you the summaries as they become available.

          Where will the summaries be posted?
          Of course, they will be posted here, though we haven't decided how often we will be posting new summaries. Depending on the state of the Never-ending Project that is our website, I would either like to create a space in the forum to post and discuss them or include .pdf downloads of each summary. Which I do will depend on the interest in discussing versus simply using the summaries for research purposes. If there is an interest on LiveJournal, I certainly would not mind sharing them there as well, since the LJ community is set aside for sharing stories and research.

          We are still a couple weeks away at least from beginning this, so I am open to ideas and suggestions for how you all would like to handle the reading/discussion for SWG. Either post to the group or drop me a line at DawnFelagund@...!
          Best regards to all,

          Read my stories or visit me online at http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=dawn_felagund

          Are you a relentless First-Ager?
          Check out the Silmarillion Writers' Guild at http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=silwritersguild.