Exercise #18 - 'Original Characters' posted at 'There and Back Again'

  • JunoMagic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi all,

      exercise #18 is posted at "There and Back Again", a writers' workshop
      for Tolkien fan fiction.

      This month's exercise deals with original characters.

      We want to try different methods of really 'fleshing out' our original
      characters. Every member has to introduce an original character to the
      community, using either a biographical sketch, a timeline, a
      psychological analysis or a character test. Then all members, their
      own original characters, and all canon characters may ask that
      original character questions - and they have to answer!

      We hope that this will not only help with writing original characters,
      but that the exercise will be a lot of fun!

      Have a look at the exercise here:

      http://community.livejournal.com/there_n_back/82721.html

      Yours
      JunoMagic and Aranel Took

      ***

      "There and Back Again (and how to get there in the first place)" -
      a writers' workshop for Tolkien fan fiction in LJ style:
      http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=there_n_back
    • MARINA
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006

        So, in my case...what I am planning, if I got that right and understood all that on the post, I will take that one character, will write what Tolkien said, but give him a life as well, right? Do we make a list, who is taking who? So we do not end up with 24 Haldirs, 46 Legolas....19 Elrond and so on?

        If so, I would like to claim Maeglin for this event :) - did you expect anyone else?

        The idea is amazing. I am totally looking forward to it.

        MArina

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hi, Marina
          Since Juno doesn't (I don't think) get emails for this list, I hope she does not mind me answering. :)

          The exercise as I understand it is for original characters. So Maeglin wouldn't work for this particular exercise...but his girlfriend (*cough* named Marina *cough cough*) would. ;) Or any other OC affiliated with him, certainly the OFCs from your stories.

          The outline for the exercise helps a lot in explaining it:

          But it is fun, certainly! Jenni (Digdigil) and I spend a lot of hours--too many, we sometimes think--"conversing" with two of our original characters from an original fantasy universe that I created. And not only is it fun and entertaining...but it really works in helping to develop these characters!

          I'm thinking of participating in this one too, if I can rustle up an OC first. :)

          Hope this helps and best wishes to you!

          Read my stories or visit me online at http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=dawn_felagund

          Are you a relentless First-Ager?
          Check out the Silmarillion Writers' Guild at http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=silwritersguild.
          ~oOo~
        • MARINA
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            OH, even better!
            I will then go now to my living room and grab Lithônion on his collar, jerk him, that naughty elf, into my office and then we see.

            I have actually written backgrounds to ALL my OMCs and OFCs. Now, with being four days off work, I will have time to make an interview with him.  I really like this idea.

            Thank you Dawn,
            I will contact you prior to posting offlist, for the case I do not understand something else :) darn language barrier!